'78 Westy FI/Electrical Overhaul/No History

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jr. Buser
Getting Hooked!

'78 Westy FI/Electrical Overhaul/No History

Post by Jr. Buser » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:46 pm

O.k. Now would be a good time to seek my first piece of advice. I would like to give this bus the proper electrical go through before trying to start it. I have new points, condenser, plugs, rotor, cap and wires. While going through the distributor I found it to be very dirty inside and it would not clean out with compressed air. The bottom of the distributor smelled of foul fuel. My question is this:

1) If I truly care for the bus and want to eliminate any piece as possibly faulty, would I be better off getting an SVDA from Aircooled.net and replacing the coil as well? If so, which coil would be the preferred one for the application?

I am also very open to suggestions as what not to do. My object is to get this bus going to evaluate the condition of the motor and determine if further tear down is necessary.

This is to be my most driven bus and will transport my most precious cargo, my family. I do not want to cut corners that will come back to haunt me. If OE is the right piece to make it work, I accept that. If there is a better choice and all pieces still work in harmony, I have no problem accepting improvement over original.

This is my first venture into the air-cooled world so your patience in advance is appreciated. I expect 5 manuals to arrive this week, so I will be brushing up on my acronyms and familiarizing myself with pieces you speak of so freely.

Thanks again,

Brett
Searching for reason in an unreasonable location.