CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS!!!

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

CHECK YOUR CONNECTIONS!!!

Post by DurocShark » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:44 pm

All caps for effect!!!

The Guac took his first tow truck trip last Friday. I was driving on the E370 when he just quit. Nothing, nada. I coasted onto the shoulder and tried restarting. No luck.

It was snowing and below freezing and I wasn't dressed for crawling around in mud (the shoulder was ALL mud) so after a visual inspection of the points, dual relay connectors, plugs and wires, etc, I gave up and called AAA.

I finally got to check it out today. Here's the problem:

Those connectors were new last fall when I put that fuel pump in. The old ones were nasty so I replaced 'em. But less than a year later the wire is corroded and pulled out of the crimp, the tangs on the pump were horrible looking, and everything was just all around nasty.

I wire brushed the tangs on the pump then applied lots of dielectric grease. I cut the wires back to clean copper then added 6" or so to them so they wouldn't be pulling on the harness like they were before. Lots of dielectric grease and heatshrink to help protect them as well as possible:

There's a twist-loc connector in the background. Since I have tendonitis I can't crimp a connector in a cramped area like that. I wrapped the whole thing in silicone tape after I shot this pic just to be sure.

I'm betting there are supposed to be rubber boots over those connectors on the pump. I'm gonna start looking so I don't have to deal with this again.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:23 am

I think originally there is a rubber boot that covers the connectors.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:19 am

Geez those harsh winters sure are harsh on our cars. That looks like a 10 year-old repair.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

pawesty
Getting Hooked!

Post by pawesty » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:14 pm

steve74baywin wrote:I think originally there is a rubber boot that covers the connectors.
Confirming there should be rubber boots covering those connections.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:45 pm

...and that hose clamp is not for high pressure fuel injector hose. They love to cut into the rubber causing leaks! Switch it out before you have a fire. :pukeleft:
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:02 pm

Bleyseng wrote:...and that hose clamp is not for high pressure fuel injector hose. They love to cut into the rubber causing leaks! Switch it out before you have a fire. :pukeleft:
I have never had difficulty with those hose clamps on all the FI hoses on my BMW/MB/VW/. I have seen some pretty mangled hoses from people who tighten the heck out of those clamps. If you have good hoses, you do not need insanely tight clamps. Just snug. Check when running. Re-tighten in two weeks. Yer good.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:25 pm

Colin's right. It's all about how tight you get it. You just need it snug.