Hot-Spark Breakerless Ignition Install Instructions

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:59 pm

Amskeptic wrote:So far, my Pertronix has endured 90*s interstate cruising and 3,000 miles with no issues.
Colin
Mine has about 9k on it with no problems.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:34 pm

spiffy wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:So far, my Pertronix has endured 90*s interstate cruising and 3,000 miles with no issues.
Colin
Mine has about 9k on it with no problems.
I'm still using points, what is the advantage of making this change?

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:32 am

Not having to re-gap or adjust your points, more accurate (repeatable) timing, and that nagging little voice in the back of your head reminding you that it could just quit working instantly at any time. If you do switch, carry some points with you as a backup. At least when points start going they tend to give some advance warning instead of just dropping dead.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:05 pm

chitwnvw wrote: I'm still using points, what is the advantage of making this change?
The Pertronix does help fuel mileage just enough to pay for itself in about 8,363 miles or so.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

AndyM
I'm New!

Hot Spark debate--Continued a year later....

Post by AndyM » Tue May 27, 2008 11:40 am

Just checking in to see where everybody was at with the Hot Spark debate. Has everybody sent theirs back and returned to points or have they worked out the heat-sink issues? Thinking about doing the swap as my dizzy is worn and I would like a little more reliability.
Any first hand experience would be welcomed.
I'd be running it on a '73 Bay with an 1800, stock cam and dual Dell 34's w/ vac.

Thanks, Andy

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue May 27, 2008 12:14 pm

As I said via PM, I gave up on the Hot Spark. Great bunch of guys, but I just couldn't make it work in the Guac.

AndyM
I'm New!

Post by AndyM » Tue May 27, 2008 12:20 pm

Thanks. I've been researching this same subject in different threads, both here and the other site and they all point the same direction. Usually trouble with the Hot Spark until they switched back to points again. Now maybe a Petronix or Compufire? Anyone? Any Bus owners want to relate long time experience with the other brands vs. points?

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue May 27, 2008 1:31 pm

Colin, you've always been such a strong supporter of points, do you retract your earlier stance?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Re: Hot Spark debate--Continued a year later....

Post by Sluggo » Tue May 27, 2008 3:43 pm

AndyM wrote:Just checking in to see where everybody was at with the Hot Spark debate. Has everybody sent theirs back and returned to points or have they worked out the heat-sink issues? Thinking about doing the swap as my dizzy is worn and I would like a little more reliability.
Any first hand experience would be welcomed.
I'd be running it on a '73 Bay with an 1800, stock cam and dual Dell 34's w/ vac.
Hot-Spark SUCKS! I went through three in a few months. Have been running a Compufire in the Bus and a Pertronix in the Super Beetle with no problems. I carry a spare set of points in each.

If you're going to go breaker-less, go with a Pertronix or Compufire. It's worth the extra $ not to have to deal with the hassle. Plus you'll probably end up getting one of these in the end anyway.
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------