Current Track Wire Diagrams Explained

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Current Track Wire Diagrams Explained

Post by Adventurewagen » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:16 pm

Can somebody explain to me how to read current track wiring diagrams?

Here is a good example to work off of.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Current Track Wire Diagrams Explained

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:31 pm

Adventurewagen wrote:Can somebody explain to me how to read current track wiring diagrams?
These diagrams are a beauty of clarity.

The entire bottom of the page where all those vertical lines end up is the body of the car, your ground.

The top of the page is your originating (+) voltage.

The doodads that need electricity are pictured using common electrical symbols. They are numbered (lettered) so you can find the part you want in the big list, look over to see what current track # has been assigned, then go find the track # in the big picture. Follow the track from top to bottom. You will see some originating (+) comes directly from the battery/starter terminal, these are your #30 terminals. Some originating (+) comes from the ignition switch "on" terminal. These are all #15 terminals. FI buses have #50 terminals too, these juice up only in the start position. All relays have a switched path from 30 to 87. The instructions to do the switching go through the 86 to 85. Sometimes relays have 87a and even 86b and whatnot. They are just doubled up terminals.

I will stop here until your next questions.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:46 pm

Colin's explanation is excellent. However, let's make it simpler.

Electronics 101

Electricity will flow (current) between two points that have a difference of potential (the positive and negative terminals of a battery) as long as there exists a complete conducting path between those two points. Various components can be inserted into the path to harness this current flow. These are referred to as the circuit's load.

There are two power sources in your bus, the battery and the alternator (or generator). All the power used comes from one or the other of these two sources. The wiring diagram doesn't show you where anything is, just the pathways by which the electrical current flows. The color coding corresponds to the colors of your stock wiring. Unless the PO painted over them! :angry5:

Like any map, there is a legend to the wiring diagram that defines the various symbols used. For example, the reverse lights in my first bus didn't light. Looking at the wiring diagram I found there was a symbol for a switch that engaged when the vehicle was put into reverse. The diagram was no help in locating it but it gave me a good overview of the components of that particular circuit, and the means by which to troubleshoot it.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:05 am

LiveonJG wrote:However, let's make it simpler.
Let's make it more exciting.
Current is actually the flow of electrons towards the positive potential.
So in your bus, the current ACTUALLY flows from the body of the car INTO the wires. The alternator sucks the electrons out of the battery so it becomes a box of begging electron-free atoms just waiting for all of those little guys to get home. Good grounds are critical.
Colin :cyclopsani:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:53 am

Amskeptic wrote:Let's make it more exciting.
The electrons are excited, their excitement is catchy, so it moves along the path, like a bunch of drunk sports fans doing the wave. :drunken:

Reading the wiring diagram, however, is rarely exciting.
Amskeptic wrote:Good grounds are critical.
As is the condition of the wire and all connections. Think about what happens when that aforementioned wave runs into the fat dude that's too busy eating his hot dog to get up off his lazy ass. The integrity of the entire pointless show is affected no matter where he's sitting.

-John
Keep it acoustic.