‘78 Westy, Loss Of Power For A Few Seconds

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Taiga
I'm New!

‘78 Westy, Loss Of Power For A Few Seconds

Post by Taiga » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:20 pm

I recently replaced my points ignition system with a Pertronix electric ignition. I replaced the coil and set the timing. The bus is running very well, except that the engine has lost all power for a couple of seconds on two separate occasions during the past three weeks. I checked the ground connection on the double relay and it is secure. Anybody else have a similar situation? What should I check next?

satchmo
Old School!

Re: ‘78 Westy, Loss Of Power For A Few Seconds

Post by satchmo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:31 pm

If you have brief episodes like someone just turned off the ignition, it is an electrical connection issue.

Recheck the wires on your pertronix install. Check your wires to the coil. Check each and every wire connection in the double relay and AFM plugs - make sure they aren't backing out when you plug them in.

If you don't find a problem there, then maybe take out the pertronix and go back to points to see if this cures your issue.

Satchmo
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

Taiga
I'm New!

Re: ‘78 Westy, Loss Of Power For A Few Seconds

Post by Taiga » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:05 pm

I checked all the battery connections, double-checked the electric connections to the coil and the pertonix and they are all secure. (I was unable to check the wires to the solenoid) However, I had also switched out the original metal-cased double relay plug socket with a new plastic-cased one. I wasn't pleased with how the ground wire from the relay wires was being held next to the van body with the original screw (a bit short after adding the width of the new plastic case), so I switched back to the original metal-cased double relay socket and firmly attached the ground wire to the van body. Took it for a spin and so far so good.

I've got two more weeks before the van gets put away for the winter (Canada). I will let you know if the problem is resolved. Thank you.