Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

HID Headlights?

Post by Adventurewagen » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:17 am

Anyone put HID's on their bus?
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:05 pm

I guess I'll be the only one running a set then :cheers:

Editor's note: The link to the product referenced in this topic has expired and has been removed. You will have to research currently available HID kits for pricing/availability.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:46 pm

Explain. What are they? Are they legal in the US?

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:57 pm

$140 total isn't bad. Can't wait to hear about your installation.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:35 pm

I haven't bought them yet, but I'm thinking about it. My buddy was the one who showed them to me and I've been thinking about them since.
chitwnvw wrote:Explain. What are they? Are they legal in the US?
HID Lights = High Intensity Discharge Lights (aka Xenon lights)

HID's are the next generation of H4's if you will. HID's don't have a filament in the bulb but are under pressure of different gases, Xenon is most of it right now. The electrical current provided to the lights creates an arc and gives off a very white light.

You'll find HID's standard now on Cadillac, Lexus, BMW, etc. They are legal, although I'm not sure about conversion kits like I posted above, but a lot of other guys run them on their rice rockets.
63 Gulf Blue Notch

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:20 pm

I hate Xenon lights when they are approaching me, especially on SUVs where it's easy to be in the "pattern" of the beam if you're in a car. They are too bright. I would not put them on my Bus for the same reason. There has got to be a tradeoff somewhere for overall safety on the road - what good are the brightest headlights if I'm constantly blinded by oncoming traffic?

For auxilary lighting, etc. I have no objection, but for low-beam headlights, I'll stick with "legal wattage" halogen.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:29 pm

vwlover77 wrote:I hate Xenon lights when they are approaching me, especially on SUVs where it's easy to be in the "pattern" of the beam if you're in a car. They are too bright. I would not put them on my Bus for the same reason. There has got to be a tradeoff somewhere for overall safety on the road - what good are the brightest headlights if I'm constantly blinded by oncoming traffic?

For auxilary lighting, etc. I have no objection, but for low-beam headlights, I'll stick with "legal wattage" halogen.
I find H4's to be a nice upgrade. The pattern is much more controlled than sealed beams, while adding substantial brightness.

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm

vwlover77 wrote:I hate Xenon lights when they are approaching me, <snip>
How do you know for sure they're xenon?

In any case, if they're blinding oncoming traffic they're a hazard, not a help. I'd like the people approaching me to see reeeeeeely well. If they're aimed correctly, they should pose no problem to oncoming traffic. You can always turn them off, I imagine.

Xenon lights are very efficient. Hollywood loves 'em. Very high lumens per watt.
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.