Which/How to Jump Reduction Gear Starter

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Which/How to Jump Reduction Gear Starter

Post by whc03grady » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 pm

Today I was getting the solenoid click. Turning the engine to a different spot by hand didn't work (it has before). Where do I jump this thing, again?

Does the black unplugged end (draped over at Left) have to do with jumping, or anything? (I think it isn't needed with the GoWe$ty reduction $tarter.) Sorry for the bad iPhone photo.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Which/How to Jump Reduction Gear Starter

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:20 pm

whc03grady wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:38 pm
Today I was getting the solenoid click. Turning the engine to a different spot by hand didn't work (it has before). Where do I jump this thing, again?
I'll tell you, but not yet.

Please get an overnight charge on the battery, 2A at least ten hours, preferably inside a warm building.
Clean both battery terminals and ground straps. Even if you did it just months ago.
Install warm battery, just minutes before starting attempt.
It should start normally. LET ME KNOW
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:30 pm

It's been charging since about 4:30 today, not in a warm garage but not exactly Arctic either--upper 20s overnight tonight. We'll see if it'll crank in the morning. (Then I'll tell you about the real problem.)
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Click.

Click.

Click click click cl--shudder shudder varoo- varoo- varoooOOM!

Okay, so how do I jump it? I know it'll come up.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:06 am

whc03grady wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:02 pm
Click.

Click.

Click click click cl--shudder shudder varoo- varoo- varoooOOM!

Okay, so how do I jump it? I know it'll come up.

Cleeeeeaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrllllllllllyyyyyyy, you have mild/moderate battery voltage drop-off. You you can see that optimizing voltage is key.

If you MMMMUUUUSSSSSTTTTT bridge the starter terminals in a life-and-death circumstance, make sure car is in neutral and emergency brake is applied:

a) find red/black wire that is currently leading to the black connector plug. That plug leads into the solenoid.
If that connector/wire leads to an exposed terminal at the solenoid, use the exposed terminal as your bridge. If the spade inside the connector is the last available metal bridge point, you'll have to use it.

b) find the battery cable-to-solenoid end. It should be a 13mm nut on a big threaded post on the solenoid. It may have a boot over it.

To actuate starter, you must use a bridge device capable of passing mass quantities of electrons. I use a 4" adjustable wrench so I can set the jaws to the bridge width on my classic old school starter solenoid. If you just want to wake the starter up, you would leave the ignition key off. If you want to get engine running from underneath the car (and with dual carbs, that could be a bit iffy), you need to have the key on.

Here is a picture off theSamba. You can see the red/black terminal end and the battery cable terminal end and you would slam the adjustable wrench jaws against the two, ignore the sparks and chattering. Usually, all you have to do is get it to engage briefly and you can finish up at the key:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles