Weird Blinker Behavior While Braking

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Weird Blinker Behavior While Braking

Post by whc03grady » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:55 pm

The headlights were on. I flipped the blinker for a turn. As I braked for the turn, the blinking faded, for lack of a better word...the noise was less, the brightness of the dash light was less. (Since I was driving I didn't see what the lights themselves were doing.) Off the brake, back comes the blinking.
Okay, whatever.
Stopped for groceries. Drove the bus again, headlights on again. Blinker indicator nice and strong under braking or not. Since it fixed itself, I didn't have a chance to take an external glance.

Que pasa?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Weird Blinker Behavior While Braking

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:30 pm

whc03grady wrote:The headlights were on. I flipped the blinker for a turn. As I braked for the turn, the blinking faded, for lack of a better word...the noise was less, the brightness of the dash light was less. (Since I was driving I didn't see what the lights themselves were doing.) Off the brake, back comes the blinking.
Okay, whatever.
Stopped for groceries. Drove the bus again, headlights on again. Blinker indicator nice and strong under braking or not. Since it fixed itself, I didn't have a chance to take an external glance.

Que pasa?
Classic symptom of a ground path interruption in the taillight assembly. Classic, I tell ya.
Colin
(ground terminals need a firm grip on the spades)
(bulbs must be properly indexed in sockets)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Happyfolk
Getting Hooked!

Post by Happyfolk » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:00 am

I was having a similar issue. All markers, signals, reverse lights, brake lights working but if the signals were on and I braked then the signals would stop flashing.

I looked at the connections that the body shop had done on my tail light assemblies and noticed that they had the ground wires and brake light hot wires reversed on both sides. Swapped them and everything is working correctly now. The connectors for these two wires are next to eachother on the tail light assemblies.

Surprising that they were working at all before.
79 CA FI Westy
Mexico Beige
"Sandy"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:39 pm

Happyfolk wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:00 am
noticed that they had the ground wires and brake light hot wires reversed on both sides.
NiiiiiccccCCCCEE . . . . . (not)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles