Pertronix

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Pertronix

Post by asiab3 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:54 am

Napa "Echelin" brand points seem to bade to a significantly higher standard.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:03 pm

asiab3 wrote:Napa "Echlin" brand points seem to bade to a significantly higher standard.
Ditto that. Back when I had my Corvair-powered bus, I naively put in some points from Canadian Tire which lasted, oh, about three days. Replaced them with a set of Echlin points (not from NAPA, but Echlin just the same) and the construction quality difference was quite an eye-opener.

Of course, that was 30 years ago, and any brand could easily go to the dark side at any time, as we have discovered with Bosch. Wonder if it was a single change in Bosch management direction that has led us to this sorry state of affairs? Did Carl Icahn or one his ilk buy up a large chunk of Bosch stock?

As far Pertronix goes, they're ok, but I prefer the Crane XR700 optical trigger system for several reasons.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:53 pm

I had issues with the Bosch points. The rider block kept snapping off. But then I started lubing the distributor lobes and haven't had issues since.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:57 am

I finally installed a Pertronix in my Ghia and it runs way better. Damn car revs up to 5000rpms now and is way more fun to drive with its little 1600SP.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/