DVDA Distributor for 79 Westfalia California ignition

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

giddymachine
I'm New!

DVDA Distributor for 79 Westfalia California ignition

Post by giddymachine » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:33 pm

I've got a 79 Westy with the CA ignition. My DVDA vacuum can is shot and I've been looking forever for a replacement.

Distributor is 039 905 205C and number on the arm of the can is 2717. Would like to buy a replacement vacuum can and/or distributor and have the original rebuilt.

Anyone have any ideas where to track one down?

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: DVDA Distributor for 79 Westfalia California ignition

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:47 am

Check with Automobileatlanta as they do carry some but not cheap!! It's the same part for a 914, note the 039 part number with is the 914 2.0L part code.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:39 am

good luck, ive been looking for one for a while also and nothing has shown up. I even tried to get one from VW of Germany's classic parts division, but nada.

that said I didn't think to try for one from a 914, so that might be a good option. certainly it won't be cheap, but the right parts rarely are.
1979 California Transporter

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:43 pm

The other place is contact Rich at http://www.highperformancehouse.com as he has tons of parts (914 mostly) and should have em. I have three but I am saving them. There are minor differences in the adjustment of the vacuum advance but it's minor. That said the type 4 dizzy is a mechanical advance dizzy so it must be cleaned, lubed so it operates correctly. Timing it right is a must but the vacuum works only in certain situations mostly off idle.
Geoff

giddymachine
I'm New!

Post by giddymachine » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:17 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll see if I can get hold of one!

giddymachine
I'm New!

Post by giddymachine » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:55 pm

The search is still on, but I had another quick question. The retard portion of my vacuum can is shot. I've plugged the line that went there and have been driving the van with just the advance portion hooked up.

When the van first starts, it idles a bit fast and then slows. Once it slows it begins to "cycle" up and down. By this I mean it runs nice, then the idle drops off, it kinda sputters and then starts running nice. It does this over and over.

Once I drive it a few blocks it idles nicely and has good power. Until I stop and go in the store to buy beer. When I start it up it idles really rough and stays that way until I drive a bit more.

I've replaced a majority of the vacuum hoses but I'm wondering if driving it without the retard functioning properly is doing this.

Any ideas?

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:43 pm

it's a vacuum leak causing the "Hunting" at idle as the FI tries to stabilize the lean condition. Modern EFI idle control valves can cover for small vacuum leaks while Ljet can't. Once it warms up the idle circuit, CHT are at the operating range and should be fine even with a tiny leak.
Geoff

giddymachine
I'm New!

Post by giddymachine » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:50 pm

I was poking around and I believe I found the vacuum leak. Where the intake manifold bolts to the heads (close to the injectors) there is actually a bit of broken gasket poking out around one of the side bolts. I sprayed some carb cleaner and ZOOOOOOM it revved like crazy. I cranked down on the bolt, it was semi-loose, and it runs better for sure.

Its funny, but the check-valve on the break line is just above the spot on the intake manifold that the gasket is showing. When I sprayed the check-valve it would go ZOOOOM so I replaced it. It was still doing it, but now I realize it was the spray going past the check-valve and down to the intake manifold bolt. Fun, fun, fun.

Looks like a pretty easy replacement; remove injectors then the 4 bolts holding on the intake tube. Gonna go get some gaskets and see if I can get it done. Any tips on replacing the gaskets?

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:48 am

Order and replace the little rubber injector nose gaskets as those harden and crack with age. It get's pretty hot there so if you are in there fixing stuff replace em along with the injector rubber fuel lines to the steel fuel rails.
Geoff

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:56 am

x2 what Bleyseng said

Having a bad retard line on your vacuum can isn't a big deal. Without it you time it to 7.5* BTDC instead of 5* ATDC (although technically you time for max advance and not idle anyway.) They setup the retard line on the vacuum can to change where it was timed at idle - so it could pass smog easier in California. Just be sure you have properly plugged that line that comes from the throttle body and goes to that retard side of the vacuum can and your all set.

Philbin has had my CA spec distributor for 9 months now - don't be tempted to send yours to them for repair. They don't have the correct vacuum can in stock and whomever is doing the VW distributors starts to sundown around 11Am.
1979 California Transporter

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:29 pm

airkooledchris wrote:Philbin has had my CA spec distributor for 9 months now - don't be tempted to send yours to them for repair. They don't have the correct vacuum can in stock and whomever is doing the VW distributors starts to sundown around 11Am.
You want me to go knock on their door?

Alternately, while it's not rebuilt I've got a functioning CA-spec distributor sitting on the shelf in my garage. Ran it daily in my Bus until the 2L crapped out at Maupin five years ago...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:33 pm

airkooledchris wrote:Philbin has had my CA spec distributor for 9 months now - don't be tempted to send yours to them for repair. They don't have the correct vacuum can in stock and whomever is doing the VW distributors starts to sundown around 11Am.
Hmmm....I had Philbin do some work on my 022-905-205S distributor this past November. Turn around was about 3 weeks and the communication was very good.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

giddymachine
I'm New!

Post by giddymachine » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:59 pm

tristessa wrote:
You want me to go knock on their door?

Alternately, while it's not rebuilt I've got a functioning CA-spec distributor sitting on the shelf in my garage. Ran it daily in my Bus until the 2L crapped out at Maupin five years ago...
Any chance you need some space on that shelf and could be coaxed into parting ways with that CA spec distributor? Would love to have a spare.

Went to the local VW parts shop and picked up gaskets, injector seals, intake hoses and fuel line. Told em it was for a 79 CA fuel injected bus and the first thing out of the guys mouth was "its still fuel injected"? Ha Ha I hear that every time I go there.

Hopefully I'll have time to install all the new goodies next week and will post up a report. Got a timing light and vacuum tester on the way so plenty to do in the coming weeks.

Love this bus!

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:04 am

Good for you and after installing all your parts post how it runs.
Geoff

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:01 pm

Philbin no longer sells rebuilt VW distributors but they will now rebuild yours for $200...not what they used to be. "Those old VWs aren't around anymore" Tony told me...didn't want to argue.
Trying to find one for a '71 bus, screw Pertronix crap with the wrong curve.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat