part II doesn't start, just clacks

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

khargis
Getting Hooked!

part II doesn't start, just clacks

Post by khargis » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:34 pm

Hey folks. 1978 type 2 FI 2.0 I reviewed the earlier post of (doesn't start, just clacks) and wanted to provides some history of my bus. Replaced the starter 2013 (rebuilt Bosch), Battery is under 2 years old and not a cheap one. Bus has been running like a dream as of late. Left Boise, Idaho the day before christmas, arriving in Bend, making my way through a blizzard. Relaxed for a couple days, driving the bus here and there. Went and picked up some chains this morning, as I am heading west through blizzard numero dos. Went back to pack up and head out, rotated key, red lights on, advanced key, click click clack, wiggled key a bit, click click clack. Pushed and popped, on the road, arrived in Portland after another push and pop, getting dark soon and will go through a few things in the morning and get back. Any thoughts?
Thanks y'all. Kris
'slow n' steady'

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Re: part II doesn't start, just clacks

Post by Jivermo » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:28 am

How are your grounds?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:56 am

khargis wrote: Replaced the starter 2013 (rebuilt Bosch),
Battery is under 2 years old
Do as Jivermo suggests.

Get the battery fully charged. Try to do a slow charge (2A or trickle), it is more gentle and more thorough.

See if all works well now.

Do not blame starter, yet.
Do not blame battery, yet.
Alternator is a likely culprit in winter.
Does yours have fan blades on it? 70A
If not, it is the more marginal 55A alternator.
Does your idiot light require that you rev the engine a bit before it goes out?
Likely diode failure that reduces alternator output.

You can live with it in this state, if you practice good electrical hygiene with all electrical connections, if you take the battery in the house on very cold nights so you have good efficiency when you start in the morning, and park on hills when available.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:40 pm

Hello folks. It turns out it was the starter. It was under warranty and replaced starter and bushing. That is the 3rd starter that has gone bad in as many years. Why are the starters getting killed? Any thoughts? Could I have just got a bad batch or is there something strange afoot?
'slow n' steady'

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:11 pm

Crap is strange afoot.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:03 pm

khargis wrote:Hello folks. It turns out it was the starter. It was under warranty and replaced starter and bushing. That is the 3rd starter that has gone bad in as many years. Why are the starters getting killed? Any thoughts? Could I have just got a bad batch or is there something strange afoot?

Those "rebuilt" starters sold by most FLAPS are not known for their quality. I learned to take my used Bosch starter to known good, local rebuilders who do go thru them thoroughly.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:23 am

khargis wrote:Hello folks. It turns out it was the starter. It was under warranty and replaced starter and bushing. That is the 3rd starter that has gone bad in as many years. Why are the starters getting killed? Any thoughts? Could I have just got a bad batch or is there something strange afoot?
Who "rebuilds" your FLAPS supplied "rebuilt" starter?
Imagine who they have to answer to . . .

New Diagnostic Rules!

a) report symptom
b) look for most recent purchased part in that system
c) that is the problem
Colin :blackeye:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:28 am

Ok, I get it. Hopefully this starter was blessed by Inspector no.9, but time will tell. Thanks everyone. kh
'slow n' steady'