Fix for stuck or jamming turn signal in a 70' bus?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

wcfvw69
Old School!

Fix for stuck or jamming turn signal in a 70' bus?

Post by wcfvw69 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:39 pm

I swore I saw a thread either here or The Samba where someone fixed a turn signal assembly that jam's or won't engage up or down. I can't locate it.

So, my 70' bus has the original turn signal switch. The electrical portion works fine. I can turn the lever down to indicate a left turn but it doesn't want to go up for a right turn. The mechanism jams or won't engage. Is there a fix for this? Has anyone had any success in correcting it?
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Re: Fix for stuck or jamming turn signal in a 70' bus?

Post by wcfvw69 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:47 pm

Never mind.. I WWWAAAAYYYY over thunk it and someone on The Samba suggested spraying some lube in it and that fixed it.. It was jamming so hard that I felt like it would break if I pushed it up. Hard to believe a little lube free'd it up..
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:27 am

wcfvw69 wrote:Hard to believe a little lube free'd it up..
Now you look at that sentence again . . . .

What kind of lube did you use? I use silicone grease so the plastic does not get attacked. Also, if the switch migrates down the steering column from innumerable little hits from our left knee and whatnot, the cancelling action will stop working only because it has dropped below the steering wheel trigger.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:Hard to believe a little lube free'd it up..
Now you look at that sentence again . . . .

What kind of lube did you use? I use silicone grease so the plastic does not get attacked. Also, if the switch migrates down the steering column from innumerable little hits from our left knee and whatnot, the cancelling action will stop working only because it has dropped below the steering wheel trigger.
Colin
No really! :) This switch ACTED AND FELT like it had something broken in it that was impeding it's ability to shift up!! I get and fully comprehend, all the wonderful aspects of lube, grease and oil.. but..I wouldn't of ever of guessed a simple spray of lube would make it immediately start moving again..

I'm ok with looking a bit foolish. :) This was the easiest repair on this bus to date. It OWED me... LOL!!!