Generator ills

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Generator ills

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:58 pm

An ongoing issue, brushes don't push down as they wear, but hang up in their little brackets. Generally a push on the brushes is enough to keep on until the generator light comes back on. It has been an infrequent process since I put new brushes in. The old ones had worn at an angle. Here's a shot of one of the old ones next to one of the new ones.

Colin suggested the brackets could be skewed, thus causing the uneven wear. Have I addressed the issue? Of course not. Just been giving the brushes a push, like this morning. And it would appear I'm close to crisis point again. A noticeable tilt to the top brush, slanting towards the front of the car, and the brush is all the way into the bracket. Giving the bottom brush a look isn't as easy, even with flashlight and mirror, couldn't really say for sure if it's angled, but it is significantly higher in the bracket, still above the top of the bracket by a healthy 16th of an inch still.

My mind rationalizes it this way, that the bottom brush is squarer, thus wearing at a more normal rate than the top one. How might I go about squaring up the top bracket? Big screw driver and hammer, giving the backside of the upper bracket a healthy tap or two? Should I pull the brush before becoming assertive with the assembly with hammer? Would it run if only the top brush is in contact with the commutator?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Generator ills

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:49 am

ruckman101 wrote: brushes hang up inbrackets.
noticeable tilt to the top brush,
How might I go about squaring up the top bracket?
With gentle good care and a keen eye. These brushes are insulated from the end plate. If you get tough and crack the insulator, you will have a short.
You must endeavor to keep the bracket perfectly rectangular. The brushes must slide without binding or chatter, perpendicular to the armature.
Good Luck, channel the inner German clockmaker in you.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:08 am

I don't like that generator. Seems like more trouble than just replacing the damn thing.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:52 am

hambone wrote:I don't like that generator. Seems like more trouble than just replacing the damn thing.
Well, if the replacements are like the replacement I got for Chloe, it is a crap shoot. You are right though, this is a difficult thing to correct installed.
ColinIMissGentleAsskickingCowChloeEvenNow
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles