78 bus 2.o fuel injected (inverter, cig. lighter ?)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

khargis
Getting Hooked!

78 bus 2.o fuel injected (inverter, cig. lighter ?)

Post by khargis » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:53 am

hello folks.i have 400 watt inverter that i have hooked up running thru my deep cell battery thru a ford solenoid to my starter battery. make sense? good. couple questions? do i need to isolate this and install a toggle switch for a, b, ab? also, i want to hook up my stereo and cig. lighter directly to my aux. batery. can i hook up cig lighter directly to my inverter? the cig. lighter has a male end coming off the back and what appears to be a male ground, how does this goes to inverter? pos. to pos. and then ground to ground? dont want to get shocked! sincerely, sparky... :salute:
'slow n' steady'

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: 78 bus 2.o fuel injected (inverter, cig. lighter ?)

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:09 pm

Cig lighter is 12 volts, does not need inverter.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:47 pm

understand. my inverter is hooked directly to my deep cell. and sits mid bus mounted to book shelf on driver side behind driver seat. should i run my cig. lighter directly to my deep cell (that way anything i run thru cig. lighter will not pull from my starter battery) or can i just run thru my inverter (half the distance of my bus as opposed to the whole distance (front to back)? i hope this makes sense, i had the cig running thru a dbl. fuse insert, inserted into single fuse holder, but kept blowing that 10amp fuse, plus all that comes from starting battery. any thoughts? thanks in advance. kh
'slow n' steady'

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:58 pm

nope makes no sense. But hook your cig lighter where ever you want....
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:50 pm

thanks for the constructive words rick, big help.
'slow n' steady'

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:14 pm

khargis wrote:thanks for the constructive words rick, big help.
i had the cig running thru a dbl. fuse insert, inserted into single fuse holder, but kept blowing that 10amp fuse, plus all that comes from starting battery. any thoughts? thanks in advance. kh

I think it may be the abbreviated post above that makes it difficult to figure out.

I will devote whatever the care and time it takes to write in full sentences correctly spelled. Then I earn a timely and careful reply, too (well .... sometimes).

If you feel the demands upon the 12 volt socket over a camping weekend would drain the primary battery, then by all means hook it up to the secondary battery supply circuit only. (Personally, I would leave the front cigarette lighter hooked to the primary battery and vehicle harness "as is", and put a power station lighter in the passenger cabin running off the secondary.

Do make sure that the two batteries are fully isolated from each other except when the alternator is putting out. Yes, you can share the ground metal all over the car between the two batteries, but the (+) sides must be independent. I have seen some efforts at doubling up the batteries for start, but I find them horrendously complicated and messy.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:46 am

yes teach, full sentences from here on out. if i do keep the cigarette lighter up in front, would i have to then run a hot and neutral all the way to the starting battery (from front to back) or can i tap into something up front under the dash? is the double fuse holder, plugged into a single fuse holder a bad idea? (sounds kinda not right, just writing it) anywho, thanks colin
'slow n' steady'

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:56 am

ould i have to then run a hot and neutral all the way to the starting battery (from front to back) or can i tap into something up front under the dash?
No need for a ground wire, just ground it to the metal of the bus in front.
Take care,
Rick

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:13 am

khargis wrote:yes teach, full sentences from here on out. if i do keep the cigarette lighter up in front, would i have to then run a hot and neutral all the way to the starting battery (from front to back) or can i tap into something up front under the dash? is the double fuse holder, plugged into a single fuse holder a bad idea? (sounds kinda not right, just writing it) anywho, thanks colin
The front lighter is normally run off of accessory fuse #7 (hot all the time) with a ground at the ground spade tree on the intake plenum near the left ebrake bracket. Good clean tight connections are helpful. Check for heat build up over time if you are charging a laptop or something, the lighter circuit was designed for intermittent high-amperage service.

The fuse situation sounds pretty bad, like a vacuum running off a plug multipliers plugged into an extension cord running off a trouble light plugged into the bathroom outlet sharing a portable heater.
Colin :cyclopsani:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

khargis
Getting Hooked!

Post by khargis » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:47 am

Got it, thanks everyone! :salute:
'slow n' steady'