Making My Own Gauge Cluster

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Making My Own Gauge Cluster

Post by Sluggo » Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:17 pm

I plan on using some ABS and making a new dashboard gauge cluster with VDO gauges. Here's my dilemma:

1. Fuel Gauge. Will it work with the stock sender? If only a few will, which ones?

2. Speedometer. Will it work with my cable and tire setup? Is there a programmable one?
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:30 pm

It can be done, I used a VDO fuel gauge and sender on my buggy. A buddy of mine used an electric programmable speedo on his Ghia. that was a couple or $300 dollars. Programed it at a taxi meter calibration site. You could do it anywhere there is a measured mile.

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:22 pm

I have a question....
I recently pulled a tach (with fuel and coolant temp guages) from an 86 vanagon.

I am intending to install it in my '80 vanagon and am wondering...
1. Do I just wire the Tach straight from the coil, or is there some other place to connect to.
2. does the fuel guage need any "tweaking' (electronically or otherwise) to hook up.
3. Is there any way to use the coolant temp guage as a frankenstein style of CHT. (i.e.- install sensor, run through X,Y, and/or Z component to
guage CHT).
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:21 pm

Damn you, this was one of the projects in the back of my mind too, after all the other 5 bazillion ones...

heh

Instead of plastic, have you considered chrome? I think a chrome bezel would look awesome. Make the template out of plastic, transfer to sheet steel. Make sure it all works as intended, smooth the edges and drop off at the chrome shop.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:08 pm

DurocShark wrote:Damn you, this was one of the projects in the back of my mind too, after all the other 5 bazillion ones...

heh

Instead of plastic, have you considered chrome? I think a chrome bezel would look awesome. Make the template out of plastic, transfer to sheet steel. Make sure it all works as intended, smooth the edges and drop off at the chrome shop.
I think the entire cluster in chrome would be too flashy (says the guy with snow leopard accents). Black Haircell ABS that matches the dash pattern. Chrome bezels on the gauges. Maybe a chrome bezel around the cluster.

I'm just trying to figure out how to incorporate the heater controls. Cutting two lines in the ABS would be easy but how could I put some kind of bezel or trim around the inside of the thin cuts?
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------