transaxle weeps oil

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

transaxle weeps oil

Post by whc03grady » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:51 pm

When last I had the transaxle out I thought, "what the heck, might as well put fresh oil in there now while it's easy to get at and all". The oil had been in the trans for, oh I don't know, 5,000 miles? Less? I don't remember what kind was in there before but it never gave me trouble that I know of. Stank when I took it out though.
Anyway, so I put in Napa Premium Performance Gear Oil, SAE 80W-85W-90, API services GL-5, GL-4, GL-3. The word 'synthetic' appears nowhere on the jug. I filled it, like I said, when the tranny was out and I filled it so's it came right up to the bottom edge of the fill hole.
So now the trans weeps oil like crazy. It weeps out wherever there's a gasket: the nosecone/gearbox seam, the bellhousing/gearbox seam. It comes out the shift rod end. What the H? Shifts fine though, no noise, no nuthin.
"Pictures!", I suppose.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Re: transaxle weeps oil

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:15 am

check that the vent hole on the nose cone isn't plugged up. it's just a very small hole, about the diameter of a toothpick, drilled right through the nosecone. it'll be up high, can't remember exactly where. pretty much any enclosed gear set will have a vent hole somewhere, otherwise they leak. you may have to use a putty knife to scrape away goo, just to find it. the gear oil heats up, expands and the air has to escape. if the vent is plugged with oily goo the tranny leaks, once unplugged the tranny will at least leak less.... maybe a lot less.

learned in navy.

leak = spots all over the backside of the bus and wherever you park or....puddles :pale:

weep = small spots on driveway

seep = always a little wet with oil, maybe a drip or two at temps from extended hard work.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:07 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:leak = spots all over the backside of the bus and wherever you park or....puddles

weep = small spots on driveway

seep = always a little wet with oil, maybe a drip or two at temps from extended hard work.
It's somewhere between a leak and a seep then. A seak? A leep?
I'll check that relief vent--thanks.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:06 pm

maybe a sleap? fix a leak, keep an eye on a weep, don't worry about a seep.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.