Bent rear shift rod

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Bent rear shift rod

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:28 am

So in my seemingly never-ending quest for my wife's bus to shift properly, I've removed the rear shift rod for inspection. Here's what I found.

It would appear that my shift rod is bent. Furthermore, it seems that maybe the previous owner may have shortened it or otherwise welded the end back on not perfectly straight. The total length of the rod is 68 3/4". So everyone knows, this is a 1970 bus with a late-bay six-rib 091 transaxle. I'm no expert, but this certainly doesn't look right. Here's a pic of the rod-to-coupler mis-alignment in a picture I took last summer.

I'm hoping (not certain, just hoping) that this may be the cause of the difficulty shifting the transmission into first gear all the way.

I'm calling Ken at The Bus Company this morning to see if he has a non-bent rear shift rod. Does anyone know for sure if they came in different lengths? My shift lever is in a good position fore and aft (not too close to the e-brake handle) so I guess I should get one that's close in length to the one I have.

Thoughts?
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:36 am

I do remember that going from the 002 to the 091 trans required shortening the linkage. I believe Colin made this conversion, at any rate, it stands to reason that they must have come in different lengths.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:30 pm

chitwnvw wrote:I do remember that going from the 002 to the 091 trans required shortening the linkage. I believe Colin made this conversion, at any rate, it stands to reason that they must have come in different lengths.
Input shaft lengths are different, but shift rod lengths should be the same. The '72 buses only had a weird articulated shift rod that they didn't think much of apparently as they reverted back to common sense in '73.

Dtrumbo, I wish you the very very best in your efforts.
Ayeeeeeee.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:46 pm

Maybe I need to find the thread. Phil over on TS had his set up so that he could switch back and forth tween 002 and 091 trans. I'd assumed the 091 was a bit longer and so the linkage had to be a wee bit shorter...

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:20 am

Well that went about as you would expect. A nice new (good used) non-bent rear shift rod from Ken at The Bus Company, new bushings and hours of re-assembly all to find that... it still does the exact same thing. I can't say I'm surprised.

Now that I've done everything in my power, it's time to call Daryl at AA Transaxle and see what he has to say about it.

This will not beat me, this will not beat me, this will not beat me.
- Dick

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:06 am

Hiya Dick,

Remember, composure, reserve, determination, persistance, and a touch of stupidity will see you through most any challenge.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:39 pm

Bookwus wrote:Hiya Dick,

Remember, composure, reserve, determination, persistance, and a touch of stupidity will see you through most any challenge.
Thanks Mike! I see your list didn't include money. This makes sense since me throwing a lot of money at this challenge has proven fruitless.

I'm still determined. I will figure this out even if it means I have to come steal that beautiful stock engine/transmission combo out of your '70 to put in mine! Lock your garage.
- Dick

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:00 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Maybe I need to find the thread. Phil over on TS had his set up so that he could switch back and forth tween 002 and 091 trans. I'd assumed the 091 was a bit longer and so the linkage had to be a wee bit shorter...
Found it. Was interesting reading my old thread. Anyhoo, what do you make of this:
When I installed an 091 into my 74 all I did was drill a new 5/16 hole in the front shift rod where the grub screw and collar hold the front and rear shift rods together, just move the hole forward about 3/8" and readjust the shifter, you do not have to change anything else.

Phil
It sounds like the 091 is a we bit longer and that the shift rods need to be shorter. Or am I confused?

Also interesting;
the input shafts in the 091 and post '71 002 are the same. the '71 and earlier have a slightly shorter input shaft. this is due to the change from the gland nut to a pilot bearing in '72.
Like studying history.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:12 pm

Just got off the phone with Daryl. He provided a shifter adjustment technique which is not how Bentley says to do it, but it does make sense. I will try that in the morning. I'm fortunate enough that I live about 30 minutes from his place so if/when the adjustment doesn't fix it, I'm going to drive it out to him so he can see/feel the problem and then we'll go from there.
- Dick

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:25 pm

Hiya Dick,
dtrumbo wrote:......I'm still determined. I will figure this out even if it means I have to come steal that beautiful stock engine/transmission combo out of your '70 to put in mine! Lock your garage.
Ah, no worries here.

It's back out and in little pieces again. So, I'm telling myself............
Composure, reserve, determination, persistance, and not so much stupidity this time around.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:52 pm

dtrumbo wrote:Just got off the phone with Daryl. He provided a shifter adjustment technique which is not how Bentley says to do it, but it does make sense. I will try that in the morning.
Please share...I'm interested to hear what this technique is.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:19 pm

bretski wrote:Please share...I'm interested to hear what this technique is.
It's quite similar to Bentley, but you put the shifter into first gear rather than second. Loosen the bolts and push the shifter to the left (toward the steering wheel) against the stop plate and then tighten. I'm going to try this method tomorrow morning, but I'm not holding out any hope that this is my problem.

To offer some background, the bus will go into first gear just fine about 80% of the time. It will always go into gear if you shift it while the bus is ever-so-slowly creeping forward. This is why it has been especially problematic going from a reverse-to-first transition due to the fact you have no forward movement after you've stopped backing up. When I told Daryl all of this, he started down the road of the first gear synchro maybe having a problem (Colin can insert his "I TOLD YOU SO" at any point here). At any rate, Daryl has a fantastic reputation and I'm sure he'll make it right if, in fact, it proves to be a faulty part that he installed during the rebuild. It just sucks taking the engine in and out and in and out... especially with THOSE DAMN DUAL WEBERS! Composure, reserve, determination, persistence...
- Dick

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Amskeptic wrote:How'd I do?
Pretty good! Now come up here and help me take this damned tranny out... AGAIN!
- Dick

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:18 pm

Update... the transmission was removed and returned to Daryl who replaced the perfectly good first gear with another perfectly good first gear. It now shifts wonderfully. He said he sees it quite often that some parts just don't play well with others and by changing one of them, the problem goes away. I can't say I completely buy into the theory, but I can't argue with the results. I, and most importantly, my wife are very pleased with the Daryl's work.
- Dick

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:22 pm

dtrumbo wrote:Update... the transmission was removed and returned to Daryl who replaced the perfectly good first gear with another perfectly good first gear. It now shifts wonderfully. He said he sees it quite often that some parts just don't play well with others and by changing one of them, the problem goes away. I can't say I completely buy into the theory . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . at any rate, you deserve some wonderful shifting well into the distant future.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles