buying a trans

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

buying a trans

Post by DjEep » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:44 am

There is a transmission on cL for $40 here in Yoojeen. I want to check it out, as a just-in-case thing. Is there anything to look for? Or is it just a bolt on and see what happens kinda deal? For $40, can I lose?
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: buying a trans

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:53 pm

DjEep wrote:There is a transmission on cL for $40 here in Yoojeen. I want to check it out, as a just-in-case thing. Is there anything to look for? Or is it just a bolt on and see what happens kinda deal? For $40, can I lose?
For $40.00, you just about can't lose.
Nonetheless, it is a doorstop as far as you are concerned if it wont shift into each gear. Once a gear is selected, rotate the input shaft and feel for a lot of slop or hanging up. You can bring a pair of visegrips and a piece of leather to wrap around the shifter rod. Forward (towards front of phantom car) is reverse/2nd/4th and back is 1st and 3rd. As you face forward (!) moving the shifter totally CLOCKWISE will give you only a forward pull (reverse). Counterclockwise and the middle position will give you pull and push.
See if the oil is OK. White globbish junky metally crap is not too good.
Did you write CL for the code?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles