Opinions on CV joint; questions about removal

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Opinions on CV joint; questions about removal

Post by whc03grady » Wed May 16, 2007 6:49 pm

Part of our heater rattled loose and rode on the axle for awhile, and tore a nice hole in the CV joint boot. Seemed like an easy fix, so new boot in hand I went down there to replace it.
Well, I couldn't get the CV joint off, and in my travails managed to tip it enough that the balls fell out.
I thought I might as well clean it up and see what I can see, and this is what I saw:

Time for a new joint? (The balls look fine.)
Also, how in the hell do I get the rest of the assembly off the axle? I know there's a circlip or whatever in there but I can't find it for love or money. Any tips?
And here I thought CV joint boot replacement was supposed to be easy. :blackeye:
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Thu May 17, 2007 2:06 pm

Shiny wear surfaces are okay. Pits are not. Your CV joint is toast. Or will be soon enough. You can assume that your other joints are comparably worn unless you know they have been replaced or you have taken them off, cleaned them, and inspected the wear surfaces.

There is a circlip in a groove just at the end of the axle that prevents the center hub of the CV joint from coming off. Need to clean all the grease off and find it, then take it off. The hub may still not want to let go, and now you are faced with using a hub puller of some sort, or pounding the axle down through some sort of slot that will hold the hub but let the axle slide through. You don't need to worry about damage to the hub because you are replacing it anyway. Check out http://www.type2.com/bartnik/tech.htm

One option for those who have more money than patience or skill is to replace the whole old cv/axle assembly with a new one, already assembled. Check out Bus Depot for the price of complete assemblies, and compare this to the price of new CV joints all around, new boots, and the years of life lost trying to disassemble the old joints and lube/install new ones yourself. It may be a good deal.

PS: I am not advocating for a throw-away mentality of bus maintenence. Quite the contrary. I use old parts until they bite the dust. But in this case, the balance scale may be pretty even.

Good luck, Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu May 17, 2007 7:59 pm

My old ones looked the same and I bought a new set and drilled a 1 inch whole in a 2X4 to tap the new ones onto the axles. Greased em' up slapped em on, torqued the bolts and checked the torque after a 100 miles or so.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Fri May 25, 2007 9:41 am

The CV had "9/73" stamped on it so I'm going with the assumption that all of them are old (re: bad). I ordered a new assembly as per satchmo's recommendation and am rarin' to get it in. The other side can wait. Thanks, guys.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri May 25, 2007 7:34 pm

whc03grady wrote:The CV had "9/73" stamped on it so I'm going with the assumption that all of them are old (re: bad). I ordered a new assembly as per satchmo's recommendation and am rarin' to get it in. The other side can wait. Thanks, guys.
Mine look far worse. Just swapping them to the opposite side of the transaxle will double your expected service life. Clean and well-greased, they'll do fine. Make sure that the pitted surfaces are on the trailing side. It is a good brain teaser. Just remember that the torque load through the axle goes (inner joint) outside hub >inner hub through the axle to (outside joint) inner hub>outside hub on the wheel side.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles