79 making growl/howl when turning left (wheel bearings?)

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

79 making growl/howl when turning left (wheel bearings?)

Post by airkooledchris » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Ive never dealt with wheel bearings before.

Ive noticed that when I turn left im starting to get a low hum/growl from (what *sounds* like) the front right wheel.

If I take a gentle right turn the sound goes away, then gentle left turn and the sound is there again.

Does this point to it actually being the front wheel bearing making the sound, or should I be just as suspect that it's actually the rear wheel/s doing it and im just getting faked out from the drivers seat position?

Finally, these are some parts that the PO left behind for me when I bought this bus. Im looking through the manual, and it looks like I would also need new "spacer ring"s to complete this job, does that look right?

The boxes are febi/bilstein and the parts are all marked febi and 'Germany'

1979 California Transporter

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Re: 79 making growl/howl when turning left (wheel bearings?)

Post by kreemoweet » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:07 pm

Looks like the good stuff, there. The "spacer rings" rarely have to be replaced: they are a tight press fit on the spindles and only
serve as a running surface for the grease seal lip (aside from its "spacing" duties, of course). I don't think anyone can say for sure if you
have a front wheel bearing problem, but unless you know that they have been tended to within the last 10 yrs/100,000 miles or so, it
is advisable to at least take apart and inspect the wheel works. Replace if at all in doubt. Those parts are not expensive.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:05 am

airkooledchris wrote: growl from (what *sounds* like) the front right wheel.
gentle left turn
Outer right bearing. We, you and I, have never done wheel bearings?
I say, if you want to keep the car, install new bearings and races.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:45 am

Replacing front wheel bearings is one of those jobs that isn't terribly complicated, but gives you a great feeling of satisfaction. Lisle makes a great cheap bearing packer (65250) that makes the job considerably less messy than packing by hand.

Consider replacing your front brake rotors at the same time if yours are getting thin. Nothing like killing two birds with one stone.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett