Shift Housing (Nosecone) Strange Metallurgic Condition

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Shift Housing (Nosecone) Strange Metallurgic Condition

Post by whc03grady » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:53 am

It looks like at some point someone built it up with very bubbly welding, and then ground it flat. Why?
Also, what's the purpose of that little weepy hole at top center, a little ESE of the bolt hole?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Shift Housing (Nosecone) Strange Metallurgic Condition

Post by hambone » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:27 am

Very difficult to weld magnesium. might it be a poor casting?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:02 am

whc03grady wrote:Image
IF the bearing support in your nosecone was actually welded, I suspect that it was an attempt at reducing input shaft bearing movement, similar to how Colin installed a Long Enterprises bearing retainer plate here:

http://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtop ... 34#p202534

See how the bearing-retaining magnesium is worn down and would allow the bearing to "walk" fore and aft? We don't want that, so it looks like yours was repaired by building up the material instead of using a plate. The third option for a repair, is to mill the entire nosecone a few thousandths, so the bearing (and outer sealing edge) has new flat material to work with. I think this third option is only for slightly worn bearing supports, as too much material off could skew the lineup of parts.

Colin's less-verbose and more thorough explanation:

Is the "weep" hole through to the exterior? I read somewhere that there should be a "breathing" hole in transaxle cases, possibly to account for expansion and contraction of materials and air due to heat.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Well, shit.
Not realizing the nosecone and gear carrier were such delicate snowflakes, I flatly scraped a razor blade across the mating surfaces of both, to get rid of Rancho's residual silcone. What doom hath I wrought?
And, I didn't have that metal plate. I went gear carrier-Permatex Aviation-paper gasket-Permatex aviation-nose cone. Again, am I due a redo?
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:45 am

whc03grady wrote: ... am I due a redo?
Well sure, eventually. That mainshaft bearing/nosecone juncture seems to be a real weakness of the design. Pretty much all hi-mileage xmissions
have ate-up nosecones. The bearing in my '71 was spinning in its bore back in '97, making noise, and it's still spinning today, making even more
noise. The repair/reinforcement plates are steel, and I can't imagine the bearing wearing a groove in it as in the photo above.

The Permatex goop would presumably handle any little gouges or scratches that may have made their way onto your mating surfaces.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:19 am

Installing a Long Enterprises steel plate in my '78's trans and putting in a new steel hockey stick ball was one of the first jobs I tackled with Colin. What a transformation in the shifting! No more struggling, it glides easily into all gears. Definitely a worthwhile project. However, Long Enterprises has just closed shop. Colin was going to attempt a purchase of some of the steel plates, since he knows them, but I'm not certain where that sits right now. They would be easy to fabricate in any metal shop with a laser cutter.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:19 am

whc03grady wrote:Well, shit.
Not realizing the nosecone and gear carrier were such delicate snowflakes, I flatly scraped a razor blade across the mating surfaces of both, to get rid of Rancho's residual silcone. What doom hath I wrought?
Possibly nothing. Did you "rake" the razor blade? Or did you gouge any metal chunks off? The gasket and Permatex should be able to seal up any inconsistencies just as good as the RTV did in this case.*
And, I didn't have that metal plate. I went gear carrier-Permatex Aviation-paper gasket-Permatex aviation-nose cone. Again, am I due a redo?
No! No redo! :compress:

You are on the right path. If you spent as much energy assembling your car as you do second guessing, you'd be driving right now. I mean that in mostly jest; your work is fine, no metal plate required. And it is better to overthink than under-think. :thumbleft:

Robbie

*Want to know a secret? One time I ripped a nosecone off and accidentally shredded the gasket. On a deadline, I gooped up some Permatex Aviation and reinstalled the thing with all the shredded gasket pieces in their general approximate positions. Some hung out, and I'm sure some were submerged in gear oil. The damn thing wouldn't leak.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:28 pm

asiab3 wrote:Possibly nothing. Did you "rake" the razor blade? Or did you gouge any metal chunks off? The gasket and Permatex should be able to seal up any inconsistencies just as good as the RTV did in this case.
I pulled it flat across the surfaces thus /-------->
asiab3 wrote:If you spent as much energy assembling your car as you do second guessing, you'd be driving right now.
Tell me about it. (And there's more second- and third-guessing on the way.)

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:29 pm

kreemoweet wrote:
The Permatex goop would presumably handle any little gouges or scratches that may have made their way onto your mating surfaces.
I'm guessing there are multiple solutions for sealing products that will work just fine, but when I installed my retainer plate I asked Rick his opinion and he recommended using the Permatex Ultra Blue.
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:52 am

THall wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:
I'm guessing there are multiple solutions for sealing products that will work just fine, but when I installed my retainer plate I asked Rick his opinion and he recommended using the Permatex Ultra Blue.
UltraBlue clashes terribly with the grounding strap copper hue and the green paint of the BobD's undercarriage, so I used Permatex Aviation.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:03 am

Luckily for me, the Permatex Ultra Copper exhaust paste blends well with my Ultra Copper Honda Paint.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:53 am

Colin wrote:UltraBlue clashes...
Robbie wrote:Ultra Copper ... blends ...
Ultra Black goes with anything. :wink:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett