Disheartening.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Disheartening.

Post by ruckman101 » Tue May 27, 2014 11:51 pm

I posted above, "Probably twice the time to get just the engine out." and it struck me that was less than clear. Half the time to only take out the engine. A little over an hour compared to the close to three hours to take out both as a unit. But assuredly, if the transmission is also coming out, pull them as a unit. Otherwise, no, I wouldn't pull both every time I had to pull only the engine.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed May 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Gotcha, that's what I was lookin for. I gotta pull both due to a bad trans. Engine seems ok just going to put on that fancy rear apron you gave me, and a real VW fan shroud instead of aftermarket junque.
So if you don't really have to pull the trans, leave the damned thing in there, unless you have a type4 to fight with.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 29, 2014 8:19 am

hambone wrote:Gotcha, that's what I was lookin for. I gotta pull both due to a bad trans. Engine seems ok just going to put on that fancy rear apron you gave me, and a real VW fan shroud instead of aftermarket junque.
So if you don't really have to pull the trans, leave the damned thing in there, unless you have a type4 to fight with.
Most Type 4 bus people just pull the engine after taking off the tins and the coil and filler pipe, etc. The transaxle has its own mounts to keep it hanging until the engine comes back.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:57 pm

Still waiting. Called Bret today, and he hasn't built me up a different transaxle yet. Death in the family. Hopefully next week. After our Eugene/Corvallis run, this isn't popping out of fourth as often as it did before the two rebuilds, but still does.

neal

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:18 pm

What if I told you to bungee a brick to an old army boot and slip it over the gearshift lever to hold it down? That's what worked for me, once upon a time ... but Colin wasn't around then to hang me from a tree for even suggesting it.

I hope that however it turns out, it won't prevent you from being at the RendezVW this weekend.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:56 pm

I have resisted the bungee option, holding out with the knowledge it won't be forever. And yes, will be making it to Maupin. Looking forward to seeing folks!

neal

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:21 pm

Getting my money back in a week, after Bret gets back from his Alaskan Cruise. Guess I'll be putting the bell housing on this one onto the old one which was working fine and swapping them out at some point. Point of fact, it has been popping out of fourth with much less frequency, sometimes you forget it had been until it does it again.

neal