Differential Side Seals

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Differential Side Seals

Post by asiab3 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:08 am

Lighting is funny that way… Your installation looks fine; I use the 46mm socket and wood dowel technique myself.

I've had two of those blue circlip oil caps leak on different cars in the last few years, so I have started to use a THIN application of non-hardening sealer (Kuril is one) on their edges before installing them. Hardening sealers and gasket makers are a pain to clean up, but I've used them in a bush fix before too…

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:30 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:44 am
And YES INDEED that installation was a pain!
I commend unto you the use of the threaded hole in the differential output shaft (M10 x 1.5 as I recall) to press
the seals in instead. You'll need a length of M10 threaded rod and a suitable assortment of big washers, sockets, and
whatnot to rig up a pressing tool (it's been a number of years since I last did this so I can't be more specific).
The seals just meekly slide evenly into their holes as you tighten the nut, without incident. Personally, I simply
hate banging on any part of my Bus with hammers and such.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:19 am

Oh, now you tell me! :-)

I saw the threaded hole and wondered about that, but wasn’t sure where the thrust load from seating the seal would be applied inside the transaxle. I didn’t want to damage something or pull out the shaft!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:32 am

The Bus is back on the road! My FLAPS was able to find a sleeve to slip onto the drive flange to provide a new, smooth surface for the seal lip (but kinda pricey at $45), and new plastic locking plates. I also replaced the cap seal on the passenger side. No seepage yet, but not many miles yet either. We shall see!
Don

78 Westy

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu May 02, 2019 7:30 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:32 am
The Bus is back on the road! My FLAPS was able to find a sleeve to slip onto the drive flange to provide a new, smooth surface for the seal lip (but kinda pricey at $45), and new plastic locking plates. I also replaced the cap seal on the passenger side. No seepage yet, but not many miles yet either. We shall see!
Congratulations.
Can you imagine doing this job out in the wilds, "gee, I don't get to *leave* until I finish this job"?
That is precisely why I do it out in the wilds. It keeps me focused and alert.

So the leaky seal was already a sandrail seal? Did it leak at the lips or the circumference? Was the drive flange loose on the differential splines?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:31 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:30 pm
Can you imagine doing this job out in the wilds, "gee, I don't get to *leave* until I finish this job"?
That is precisely why I do it out in the wilds. It keeps me focused and alert.

So the leaky seal was already a sandrail seal? Did it leak at the lips or the circumference? Was the drive flange loose on the differential splines?
I cannot imagine doing this job in the wilds. Especially because it tool my FLAPS 5 days to get the sleeve and locking plates!

Yes, the leaky seal was one of the wide ones (photo below). Is that what makes it a sandrail seal? No leakage at the circumference as far as I could tell.

The drive flange was quite snug on the splines.

Interestingly, mine had no dust seal but did have a "washer" between the circlip and drive flange.

Don

78 Westy

jalabert
I'm New!

Post by jalabert » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:41 pm

kreemoweet wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:30 pm
vwlover77 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:44 am
And YES INDEED that installation was a pain!
I commend unto you the use of the threaded hole in the differential output shaft (M10 x 1.5 as I recall) to press
the seals in instead. You'll need a length of M10 threaded rod and a suitable assortment of big washers, sockets, and
whatnot to rig up a pressing tool (it's been a number of years since I last did this so I can't be more specific).
The seals just meekly slide evenly into their holes as you tighten the nut, without incident. Personally, I simply
hate banging on any part of my Bus with hammers and such.
Perfect, thank you very much. I can confirm your memory is bang on, it's M10. I used a 130mm coach bolt, a washer and the 46mm socket, and it worked like a dream. Same thing works perfectly for pressing the flanges into the new seal. Much swearing saved, and instead a smug feeling of satisfaction that demands a beer.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:40 am

jalabert wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:41 pm
pressing the flanges into the new seal. beer.

I am confused here. Are you speaking of the flanges passing through the seals as they are pressed onto the splines?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jalabert
I'm New!

Post by jalabert » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:40 am
jalabert wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:41 pm
pressing the flanges into the new seal. beer.

I am confused here. Are you speaking of the flanges passing through the seals as they are pressed onto the splines?
Colin
Yep, that's the one...

I had one deep seal, and one sandrail type. I can't imagine either of them will be fun to remove, here's hoping for a decade or two of leak free service...

Curtp07
Getting Hooked!

Post by Curtp07 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:00 am

Awesome write up thank you!