Moderators: Amskeptic, Sluggo

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: Differential Side Seals

Post by vwlover77 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:44 am

Latest post of the previous page:

asiab3 wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:17 pm
Do I see a divot at the 11:00 mark? Those are such pests to install…
I cannot feel a divot when I run my finger around in there. I think it's just a trick of the lighting in the photo. And YES INDEED that installation was a pain!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:08 am

Lighting is funny that way… Your installation looks fine; I use the 46mm socket and wood dowel technique myself.

I've had two of those blue circlip oil caps leak on different cars in the last few years, so I have started to use a THIN application of non-hardening sealer (Kuril is one) on their edges before installing them. Hardening sealers and gasket makers are a pain to clean up, but I've used them in a bush fix before too…

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
119k miles with me.
296k miles on Earth.

kreemoweet
Getting Hooked!

Post by kreemoweet » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:30 pm

vwlover77 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:44 am
And YES INDEED that installation was a pain!
I commend unto you the use of the threaded hole in the differential output shaft (M10 x 1.5 as I recall) to press
the seals in instead. You'll need a length of M10 threaded rod and a suitable assortment of big washers, sockets, and
whatnot to rig up a pressing tool (it's been a number of years since I last did this so I can't be more specific).
The seals just meekly slide evenly into their holes as you tighten the nut, without incident. Personally, I simply
hate banging on any part of my Bus with hammers and such.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:19 am

Oh, now you tell me! :-)

I saw the threaded hole and wondered about that, but wasn’t sure where the thrust load from seating the seal would be applied inside the transaxle. I didn’t want to damage something or pull out the shaft!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen