the woes of my wo

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ross
I'm New!

the woes of my wo

Post by ross » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:36 pm

well i will try to be as precise as i can with my info so i dont confuse anyone iam just about ready to pull out
the last of my hair.
my newly built wo motor is getting hot to hot my vdo oil gauge is reading about 115c, the dipstick burns fingers,
distributor body & case is hot.
my rebuilt engine was a 1700 fi from a 411 its now a 1911 using a web 86 cam the compression ratio whas set
to a max of 8.3.
i have triple checked valve tappets they are a tight 7 thou.
timing is 8 btdc hoses off at 850 to 900 rpm, 30 @ 3000 rpm using original dizzy single vac.
have checked all hoses & mainfolds for leaks using wd40 none evident.
have purchased a new cb rotary fuel pump these pump 3.5 psi ive been told that these pumps run great with dual solex
set ups like mine. i had no problems before with this pump on my 1700 engine.
is it possible that the carbs are running nearly dry due to the extra requirements of the 1911 conversion i have yet to check the float levels but these carbs were fine on the 1700 engine if the float levels were to low would this make the fuel intake to engine lean and create the overheat? any ideas please

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: the woes of my wo

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:54 am

What do your plugs look like? Is there a chance that the carbs are running too lean w the increased displacement and you need to put in some bigger main jets?
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

ross
I'm New!

Post by ross » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:18 am

hi thanks a lot for your reply i have yet to check the plugs but i took the van out for a little run around the block
and it seems as if its running out of fuel i can drive for about a 1/4 mile and then van splutters and loses power
if i stop and let van idle for about half minute i can then drive off ok for another 1/4 and then power loss and splutter
again iam using carbs from a 2.0 type 25 so you would think these should be ok for my 1911 if the carbs are running
low on fuel would this also cause the heat issue many thanks to anyone who can give me some advise so far ive missed
all my camping trips and this problem is causing lack of sleep :pale:

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:01 am

I've had to adjust my carbs from an exhaust system change. I would think the carbs would have to be adjusted to compensate for the larger engine displacement. I would check the fuel filter, and often symptoms you describe have been traced to crud in the gas tank blocking the line.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

ross
I'm New!

Post by ross » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:32 am

ruckman101 wrote:I've had to adjust my carbs from an exhaust system change. I would think the carbs would have to be adjusted to compensate for the larger engine displacement. I would check the fuel filter, and often symptoms you describe have been traced to crud in the gas tank blocking the line.

neal
neal i did check and replace the fuel filter so iam confident that fuel is available to the carbs on ratwells site a float level
of 12 t0 14 mm is needed for these carbs can i adjust the floats so that the bowls contain more fuel or will this result in flooding. i understand that to alter float levels you have to use different shims under fuel cutoffs?

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:39 pm

I believe that's true about the shims.
You will likely need new, larger main jets as well. Maybe air-correction jets, too.
No vacuum leaks?
It will run hotter until break-in, but shouldn't be starving for fuel like it sounds.

ross
I'm New!

Post by ross » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:32 am

having given it some thought i have convinced myself that its very unlikely that the fuel starve is being created
within the carbs by the float levels as i have only taken the van on a 2mile round trip so far and at a speed of not more
than 50 mph i find it hard to believe that the rebuilt engine would be using lots more fuel and drain those dual solex
iam going to check the flow from the tank to the pump there might be a partial block any thoughts anyone?

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:39 pm

If the fuel filter is good, fuel lines not kinked or internally collapsed, and the pump is pumping, then perhaps the tank outlet screen is covered in debris.
I would pull a line from the tank (carefully) and see if there is good gravity flow into a container.

ross
I'm New!

Post by ross » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:08 pm

Hippie wrote:If the fuel filter is good, fuel lines not kinked or internally collapsed, and the pump is pumping, then perhaps the tank outlet screen is covered in debris.
I would pull a line from the tank (carefully) and see if there is good gravity flow into a container.
is there a gauze inside the tank ive never had the outlet pipe off 39 year old tank bet theres loads of cak in it

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:52 pm

Check the easy stuff first.

ross
I'm New!

Post by ross » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:24 am

Hippie wrote:Check the easy stuff first.
going to check flow from tank will also see if i can undo the tank outlet metal pipe (without snapping it off) and see if there's a gauze inside will keep on posting till i bore the shit out of everyone or i get it sorted

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:42 pm

how many miles on the rebuilt engine? it'll run hot till broken in. real hot during initial cam break in.

did'ya just unbolt the carbs, manifolds and linkage and then just bolt 'em back up? linkage may not be synchronized so the carbs open equally throughout their range anymore. check for vacuum leaks on manifold to head and carb to manifold joints. may have pinched the cylinder tin between manifold and head, or cracked a manifold by over tightening, or forgotten to torque a nut. have both seen and done these.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:17 am

ross wrote:
going to check flow from tank will also see if i can undo the tank outlet metal pipe (without snapping it off) and see if there's a gauze inside will keep on posting till i bore the shit out of everyone or i get it sorted
I, for one, don't get bored that easily. I am a simple simon. Buses exite me. :geek:

ross
I'm New!

Post by ross » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:45 am

vdubyah73 wrote:how many miles on the rebuilt engine? it'll run hot till broken in. real hot during initial cam break in.

did'ya just unbolt the carbs, manifolds and linkage and then just bolt 'em back up? linkage may not be synchronized so the carbs open equally throughout their range anymore. check for vacuum leaks on manifold to head and carb to manifold joints. may have pinched the cylinder tin between manifold and head, or cracked a manifold by over tightening, or forgotten to torque a nut. have both seen and done these.
thanks vdubya73 for your input i have checked for leaks on all pipe work and manifolds reckon iam onto something
with the possible fuel starve from the tank will try and get a few hours on it at the weekend just dont seem to have time for anything other than working me nuts off at the moment

ross
I'm New!

Post by ross » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:53 am

Hippie wrote:
ross wrote:
I, for one, don't get bored that easily. I am a simple simon. Buses exite me. :geek:
yes i was real exited when i got my engine back from the machine shop that was a couple of months ago not so exited now
as i missed all of the vdub shows that i go to every year trying to be possitive for next year :thumbright: