Engine Wobble

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Engine Wobble

Post by BumbleBus » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:04 pm

I'm most paranoid about working on my motor because I have zero experience. I'm noticing my engine wobbles quite a bit around 1,500rpm (give or take some odd 100s). I'm worried that I'm only running on 3 cylinders or something dreadful. At idle and speed it seems to smooth out. Power seems good. Acceleration is smooth once warmed up. I just finished a tach and oil temp install today (taco plate) and I ran around town driving hard for about 15-20 miles and the oil temp read just a tiny bit over 180 and it's windy as snot and 65 today. Seemed about right I thought. I understand taco plate installs will read low... I think I read that anyway.

Anyway... this is about the crappiest video I could hope to post thanks to my 10yr old digital camera, but I think you'll notice the wobble. Single Solex TCIC 34 progressive. Any thoughts? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5e9pAx4t04
'72 Sierra Yellow Campmobile

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: Engine Wobble

Post by ruckman101 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:08 pm

That is just weird.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:11 pm

Seems like it's leaning out at that RPM.

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:02 pm

Hippie wrote:Seems like it's leaning out at that RPM.
Interesting you say that because at idle I'm about 2 1/2 - 3 full turns out from closed on the mixture screw or else I've got an acceleration "stumble" and I pulled a few plugs the other day and they were pretty black/sooty so I assumed I was running "pig rich" across the board so maybe main jets a little too big?? Ugh... motors confuse me. My dwell was 47 last time I checked, but I've tweaked so many things at this point I think I need to start from scratch. Thanks for the comments so far! It's much appreciated. Took it out tonight on my 7th date with a new gal pal and thankfully it ran smooth all night so she was "impressed". Heh, heh.

:king:

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:42 am

Well if it's pig rich at that RPM, that would F with the smooth running too.
If it's not missing at the RPM where it does it, then your mixture, or the distributor could be jumping around. 1. Put a timing light on it and see if it jumps around. 2. Lean it out at RPM by temporarily introducing a vacuum leak a bit at a time while holding RPM.
3. Rich 'er up and try that. 4. Change the points and condensor, then maybe the coil.
You won't know what's wrong until you do something that makes it act right, then you can think about how to affect a permanent repair.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:36 am

BumbleBus wrote:my engine wobbles
Normal. The Type 4 engine has mounts designed to "give" around the radial axis.

Check however that the mounts are secure, not torn. Check also that the bell housing bolts (15mm) above the starter and clutch lever respectively were installed and are tight.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:57 am

Thanks a ton for the info guys! Going to spend this sunny Montana Sunday on the motor and will take what you've all said to heart and see if I can track down anything. Seeing as the tranny/nose cone plate bolts were totally loose/missing it wouldn't surprise me if the bellhousing bolts are the same. I guess when it sits in a barn for 9 years the mice tend to unscrew everything.

:rr: