Exhaust leak - CAN I DISABLE THE EGR???

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

aopisa
Addicted!

Exhaust leak - CAN I DISABLE THE EGR???

Post by aopisa » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:11 am

I hope everyone had a great 4th weekend.

My exhaust has recently gotten louder. When I plug the tail pipe with a towel I can hear it on the driver's side of the engine. A cursory examination with a rubber hose "stethoscope" tells me that it is emanating from the area of the heater box (almost seems like dead center). I cannot exactly pinpoint it nor do I have practical experience with this system.

What should I be looking for to narrow down the possible source(s)?

Thanks.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: Exhaust leak

Post by hambone » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:53 pm

The area will be sooty. Also, when the engine is revved, you can feel the leak like a hairdryer.
Inside the heat exchanger? I dunno...
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:23 pm

it sounds like it would just be the gasket where the heater box connects to the bottom of the head....
1979 California Transporter

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:32 pm

Try this: slide under there with a screwdriver and 13mm socket on extension and check your heat exchanger stud nuts are torqued to spec. You can look at teh area while your there. see if you see the black sooty stuff.

Look over the exhaust system. sometimes the holes will be very small but make a big noise. look for the soot.

Do you have a cat?

Cats are fuzzy....
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:33 pm

I will get back under and do a more thorough inspection. I did not see any soot, but will look for it as well as checking the gaskets and the heater boxes.

I do not now have a cat, but agree they are fuzzy. Except this one:

Thank you.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:33 pm

Man. That's a fugly cat.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:48 am

I had a heat exchanger that rusted away inside, and was blowing through it. Took it awhile to get outside the HE.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

aopisa
Addicted!

Re: Exhaust leak - found it - more advice needed

Post by aopisa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:17 am

I found the source of the exhaust leak. It is a break in the line leading to the EGR system I believe. That is why it sounded like it was emanting from the center of the heat exchanger. I am in the process of moving and do not have my Bentley.

The bus has been an invaluable partner in moving, but because of the move I cannot attend to the leak just yet.

Can I continue to drive it or should I stop?

What is the correct way to remedy this?

Is there a temporary fix so I can continue to use it to complete my move? It appears to have been repaired by the PO in an area just below the current break.

Thanks.

1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Re: Exhaust leak - found it - advice needed

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:30 am

I might have one of those tubes at home.....someplace. Is that the one that goes to the air plenum?
79 VW Bus

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:37 am

Would exhaust wrap tape work temporarily? Might be worth a shot!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:58 am

Randy in Maine wrote:I might have one of those tubes at home.....someplace. Is that the one that goes to the air plenum?
This tube is connected to the elbow coming off the driver's side heat exchanger and leads into the EGR filter I believe.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:46 am

Well I don't have that one.
79 VW Bus

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 am

Randy in Maine wrote:Well I don't have that one.
It appears to be all one unit. Thanks anyway. Can I patch it with something hi-temp resistant like Curil until I can locate this part?
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:01 pm

Maybe JB weld or the exhaust wrap that was recommended. Ive used the exhaust wrap before, pretty easy stuff to deal with.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

aopisa
Addicted!

Re: Exhaust leak - can I disable the EGR???

Post by aopisa » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:58 am

bajaman72 wrote:Maybe JB weld or the exhaust wrap that was recommended. Ive used the exhaust wrap before, pretty easy stuff to deal with.
Thanks, I am going to give the wrap a try, just to get me through temporarily.

It appears that the part that is rusted is all one piece from just after the heat exchanger right through the EGR filter. Does anyone know if this is true? The bus also appears to have a catalytic converter right after this exhaust part.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.