Exhaust leak - CAN I DISABLE THE EGR???

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Exhaust leak - found it - advice needed

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:13 pm

aopisa wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:Well I don't have that one.
It appears to be all one unit. Thanks anyway. Can I patch it with something hi-temp resistant like Curil until I can locate this part?
You can blob a blob of high temp RTV in there, let it cure, mash it flat with a big visegrips, leak stopped.
ColinCongratsByTheWayButSureWasPrettyThere
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

aopisa
Addicted!

Re: Exhaust leak - found it - advice needed

Post by aopisa » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:39 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
aopisa wrote:
Randy in Maine wrote:Well I don't have that one.
It appears to be all one unit. Thanks anyway. Can I patch it with something hi-temp resistant like Curil until I can locate this part?
You can blob a blob of high temp RTV in there, let it cure, mash it flat with a big visegrips, leak stopped.
ColinCongratsByTheWayButSureWasPrettyThere
So are you saying to disable the EGR system by mashing it closed after plugging the leak? I have fixed it for the time being with one of those exhaust wrap repair kits. It looks like some back alley surgeon's bandage job after working on a gunshot wound of questionable origin, but all is quiet again.

Thanks, I'm really going to miss that place. The upkeep was really starting to get away from me and in a sense I felt prisoner to the place, especially during the ultra-long winters. I think this will give me some freedom to finally explore the desert. My new house is more forested. No more sweeping vistas, but the bird songs are very pretty to listen to. Also, I do have a rather largish garage.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

aopisa
Addicted!

Re: Exhaust leak - found it - Can I disable the EGR???

Post by aopisa » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:40 pm

So my bandage job keeps blowing out, I knew it would.

Can I disable the EGR system? Is it really integrated into the engine or just an add on to satisfy 70's era emission regulations?

Can I pinch off and weld the rusted pipe in the pictures (shown above in my original post) where it comes out of the exhaust and also just before it enters the EGR filter? Will killing it harm the engine in some way or is it no big deal?
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Exhaust leak - found it - Can I disable the EGR???

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:04 am

aopisa wrote:So my bandage job keeps blowing out, I knew it would.

Can I disable the EGR system? Is it really integrated into the engine or just an add on to satisfy 70's era emission regulations?

Can I pinch off and weld the rusted pipe in the pictures (shown above in my original post) where it comes out of the exhaust and also just before it enters the EGR filter? Will killing it harm the engine in some way or is it no big deal?
Yes, please do.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Re: Exhaust leak - CAN I DISABLE THE EGR???

Post by Gypsie » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:17 pm

My first vanagon had the egr tube cut and stuffed (in both sides of the remaining tubes) with what appeared to be a high temp rtv type material. I didn't dig it out to see if there was anything upstream but I will opine that as long as there is a complete blockage of the flow of exhaust on the exhaust side that will be all that is needed and a stuffed tube will work. Same on the downstream side (ie the throttle intake side.).

Be careful "crimping and welding" your pipe. If the metal in the pipe is as compromised as it appears in the pix you may just crumble it back to the main line of the exhaust system and you will have a bigger fish to fry. IMO A good clean hacksaw cut will reveal the tubes condition a little clearer.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

aopisa
Addicted!

Re: Exhaust leak - CAN I DISABLE THE EGR???

Post by aopisa » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Gypsie wrote:Be careful "crimping and welding" your pipe. If the metal in the pipe is as compromised as it appears in the pix you may just crumble it back to the main line of the exhaust system and you will have a bigger fish to fry. IMO A good clean hacksaw cut will reveal the tubes condition a little clearer.
Thanks. Yeah, I am thinking that the pipe is pretty friable and brittle at this point. I don't think there will be quite so much bending as there wil be crushing and crumbling.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.