acceptable oil temps?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Re: acceptable oil temps?

Post by Randy in Maine » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:37 am

urtheiz wrote:i believe a dumb question is better than no question, but what is a "taco plate"?
A "taco plate" is the inspection plate on a type 4 engine (that you don't have).

Looks sort of like this....with the oil temp sender installed.

79 VW Bus

BumbleBus
Addicted!

Post by BumbleBus » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:16 am

urtheiz wrote:what is a "taco plate"?
it's just what some people refer to when talking about the round oil sump plate cover on the bottom end of a Type IV motor.
'72 Sierra Yellow Campmobile

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Re: taco plate

Post by SlowLane » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Hippie wrote:I still wonder how it got that nickname. It looks rather unlike a taco.
The 914 had a modified plate (see http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1135463), that looks a lot more like a taco. Gets the sender out of the airstream,too.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

StevesBug
I'm New!

Post by StevesBug » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:21 pm

In the spirit of fair payback ( I’ve read some numbers that have reduced my worry level),
and cheap “how to” stuff, take your sending unit out, wire attached, and drop it into a pot
of boiling water. I use my single burner camp stove, but you can be creative. Water boils at
212, so you see what your sender and gauge conjure at a known 212 ( you can adjust for
altitude if needed). This is your base point and all readings can be adjusted accordingly. It’s
still not a direct reading, but it does give you a sense of where “OMG!” is and how to respond.
Steve

69 T1 daily driver
75 Riviera project - is THIS the year?