All You CHT Gauge Drivers Report Here

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

72Hardtop
Old School!

Re: All You CHT Gauge Drivers Report Here

Post by 72Hardtop » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:16 pm

Amskeptic wrote:Around Town CHT readings:

Here in Portland Oregon where summer has not shown up (57* raining!) over the past few days, I am finding that stoplight-to-stoplight driving yields readings in the low 310-350 range.

I can see that VW would have difficulty getting these engines to pass smog with such sensitivity to over-cooling on throttle overrun and over-heating on long pulls.

I want to hook up the EGR down in California and see if CHTs react.
ColinRainPleaseStop

Couple that EGR and other smog restrictive items some of the buses came with on top of the crap CA. gas it's no wonder they overheat easily. These motors don't adjust easily to smog restrictions and blended fuels. I'm glad I don't have to worry about smog tests :bootyshake: CA. can stick it up their you know what. As long as CA. remains a non-business/consumer friendly state we'll see more & more flee the state. Serves em right.

And the legislatures wonder why they're in dire straights financially. Great going CA...
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

nathan@el
Getting Hooked!

Post by nathan@el » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:25 pm

Dakota Digital on #3. At 65MPH on the highway my head temps will usually be around 400-410. Going up large inclines, especially in the summer in California, can put the head temperatures near 450 at times. This has always freaked me out, but it just seems to be the way it goes.

Also, I have a VDO oil temperature gauge with sender in the oil plug. At sustained highway speeds, the oil will usually stay around 220-230. Again, going up large inclines in the summer, I've had the oil temp up to 260, which seems pretty high to me.

By the way, I've always used Castrol GTX 20W-50 with the Mahle oil filters. This is with a 1980 Westy, so it's heavy...
Orange 1980 Vanagon L Westy
~190,000 miles on body
~20,000 on engine

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:24 am

Stratomaster TC-2 quad-channel CHT gauge. Thought I had a picture here somewhere... :scratch:

Temperature on #3 pretty much matches what others are reporting. On my recent trip from BC to California I only saw the temperature go over 400F was when I was nearing the top of a long climb (long being relative. Since I took the 101, I wasn't attempting any 4000' summits like I used to in BC), or when I was trying to go fast enough not to get mowed down on hwy 680 during the last "sprint" for home.

This is the third engine I've had in this van. The first two had each dropped valve seats (original which had been "rebuilt" just before I bought it, and then an AVP "bargain").

I really don't worry much about oil temps, except when they're too low to boil out condensation. I figure that quality oil is built to take the high temperature. It's the head temp that I fret about. Having read Jake Raby's opinions on the topic, I try to aim for less than 400 on my unmodified AMC heads. So far, so good.

Colin, I don't know if you're planning anything besides family visits while in the SF Bay area, but if you've got time to swing by Livermore at some point, I'd love to meet ya.

Lyle
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:59 am

SlowLane wrote: I really don't worry much about oil temps, except when they're too low to boil out condensation.
It's the head temp that I fret about. Having read Jake Raby's opinions on the topic, I try to aim for less than 400 on my unmodified AMC heads. So far, so good.

Colin, I don't know if you're planning anything besides family visits while in the SF Bay area, but if you've got time to swing by Livermore at some point, I'd love to meet ya.

Lyle
PM me with address. Ditto on the oil temps. OEM heads I think are tougher than people give them credit for, but with unknown craftsmanship replaced seats, I too would fret a bit.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

Post by reluctantartist » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:54 pm

I want to hook up the EGR down in California and see if CHTs react
Collin did you try this? I was able to find on theSamba a member who did this and found no difference in CHT.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... ht=egr+cht

I keep reading that I am screwing myself for blocking it off (although that is better than when I got it with a rusted out egr).
82 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:14 am

reluctantartist wrote: I keep reading that I am screwing myself for blocking (EGR) off (although that is better than when I got it with a rusted out egr).
You are not screwing yourself. EGR was a dopey necessary evil that had to trim NOX emissions. I never did get to hook up to see what CHTs results I would get, my crap EGR valve from MidAmerica split at the flange connection. Phooey.
Colin

sgkent
Addicted!

Post by sgkent » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:39 pm

EGR lower oxygen available to burn. Make slower burn and lower temps. Reduce chance of pinging. Remove make more power. Advance timing make more power. Lean out fuel mixture to abt 14:1 make more power. Increase compression make more power. More power make bus go like bat out of hell and also turn heads into molten puddle of aluminum.

If you are in the area again let us know so we can buy you a big meal. You looked famished and underfed last time we saw you.
TBone208 wrote: "You ppl are such windbags. Go use your crystal ball to get rich & predict something meaningful. Nobody knows what's going to happen. How are we supposed to take ppl who don't know the definition of a recession & "woman" seriously?"

Merlin The Wrench

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:27 am

Make slower burn and lower temps. Reduce chance of pinging. Remove make more power. Advance timing make more power. Lean out fuel mixture to abt 14:1 make more power. Increase compression make more power. More power make bus go like bat out of hell and also turn heads into molten puddle of aluminum.

Now it either reduces temps or not. if it does, How does it turns heads into puddles of molten aluminum?

EGR reduces temps and POWER. After all the incoming fuel air mixture is diluted with exhaust. How could it not?
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:03 pm

RSorak 71Westy wrote:
Hook Up EGR: Make slower burn and lower temps. Reduce chance of pinging.
Remove EGR: make more power.

BY THE WAY:
1) Advance timing make more power.
2) Lean out fuel mixture to abt 14:1 make more power.
3) Increase compression make more power.

PS:
More power make bus go like bat out of hell and also turn heads into molten puddle of aluminum.

Now it either reduces temps or not. if it does, How does it turns heads into puddles of molten aluminum?

EGR reduces temps and POWER. After all the incoming fuel air mixture is diluted with exhaust. How could it not?
I rearranged his post so you could see what he was saying.
Colin
(p.s. I find maximum power via fuel mixture to be around 12.0:1 under full throttle, and most efficient power at medium throttle to be 13.6:1)
(dang it all Steve, I was IN SACRAMENTO ALL DAY)

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:15 pm

im starting to realize that my main issues with CHT numbers are with partial throttle driving at highway speeds.

I only need to barely keep my foot on the throttle to maintain 65/70 once I reach that speed, so my mixture at part throttle is having the greatest impact on my heads.

The spare AFM may need to come back out of the box for some testing on this, but id like to set my mixture to 12.0:1 at partial throttle (and as close to that at wot as possible) just to see how the engine likes it.
1979 California Transporter

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:28 pm

ruckman101 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:To and from Maupin I was running 355F at 70mph...tops going up loooong steep hills was 387F following IBX at 3/4 throttle in 4th. Downshifting to 3rd dropped the temps to 365-370F still climbing the long hills. Oil temps stayed at 220F all the time...even though we were fighting the wind the whole way back. I got about 17mpg leaving Maupin to Portland and 13mpg coming down to Portland fighting a headwind at 75mph.
DD on #3
I re-confirmed yesterday on I-15 that holding in 4th dropped my CHTs, when I down-shifted, they stayed at the lower reading. This is all very interesting to me.
I am discovering that I have been "over-thinking" the hell out of all of this, and the engine deals with load and ambient temperatures according to its own dictates. No driving technique makes a whit of difference. The conclusion I am rapidly arriving at is:
Just Drive
:flower:
When does technique become abuse?

Sitting around the campfire tonight with the Easter clan, I heard again tales of Cheryle's Dad's bus experiences, and I think his driving technique crossed that line.

1972 passenger bus, bought new, used to show potential buyers small vacation lots in a development next to Lake Merwin. Water skiing, park your camper, amenities, tennis courts, covered swimming pool, etc. He also made many a run to Seattle and back. So it crawled through barely developed steep hillside forest stuff (I've driven through the development, and even paved, those little roads are challenging), and made freeway runs to Seattle.

Under 10,000 original miles and it dropped a valve. "It wouldn't go over 70, and hills took it down to 50, 55, but you could hit 75 downhill, not much more." The freeway speed limit was 75 at the time. His first VW.

He said on his freeway runs to Seattle, he would put the accelerator pedal to the floor, and tuck the toe of his shoe under a flap of the air system to hold it there. I find it hard to believe he could only get 70 out of it, but....

I haven't had an opportunity to grill him on his break-in procedure or maintenance schedule, but I suspect it could be on the scanty side of paying attention to that that needed paying attention to with a spanking new engine etc.

He just drove it. And I think it was technique, not an inherent design flaw by VW that put the sour taste in his mouth for VWs. The '72 was replaced with a '73 model, and his experience was similar.

Uhh, sorry for the stray, back on topic. No gauges in Bertha. Just the warning light for oil pressure. If it flickers in a hard corner, getting low.

We've been using a tactile data collection system to gauge engine operating temperatures. It's tough to monitor trends, as the data collection window is very narrow. You can increase the frequency of data collection, but this also necessitates more frequent stops so you can open the engine hatch, and grab hold of the dip-stick. Too hot can't touch? Oh oh. Can get a grip on it, at least for a second or two, hopefully a bit more before it gets too hot to hold? In the range. Can power up five miles of a steep, twisty incline of a road in third, a few times even needing second and hop out at destination and really not even having to release my grip from the heat? Happy.

neal
I owned a 5 yr old 72 and it went just fine at 70-75mph around Seattle and on trips to Oroville. It had bout 100K when I got it and then I rebuilt the top end going to a 1800 with 1800 heads and it really flew then with a higher CR. Tossed the dual solexes so I could learn all about the single carb and finally sold it after 5 years of trouble free pain in the ass driving.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:36 pm

I have some new readings with a stock 1600 singleport in the 117* desert heat . . . coming up.
Colin

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Colin, you are killing us with anticipation.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

dittrich
I'm New!

Post by dittrich » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:49 am

airkooledchris wrote:im starting to realize that my main issues with CHT numbers are with partial throttle driving at highway speeds.

I only need to barely keep my foot on the throttle to maintain 65/70 once I reach that speed, so my mixture at part throttle is having the greatest impact on my heads.

The spare AFM may need to come back out of the box for some testing on this, but id like to set my mixture to 12.0:1 at partial throttle (and as close to that at wot as possible) just to see how the engine likes it.
Did you ever get a chance to test with the AFM at high speed & partial throttle?

I built a homebrew AFM similar to this one: http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technica ... onitor.htm and it seems like my AC Vanagon leans way out under these conditions. Was curious what your results were...

btw, If you are at all soldering-iron proficient, I recommend that DIY AFM. Blinky lights can be distracting, but it's very interesting to see the mixture change as you adjust throttle/speed/etc. After watching it for a while, it makes me wish I had a lambda loop ECU...you can see how rich it goes as you let your foot off the throttle, wasting gas. I'd think the feedback loop would nip that in the bud a lot quicker.
'83 Westy Air-Cooled.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:53 am

dittrich wrote:makes me wish I had a lambda loop ECU...you can see how rich it goes as you let your foot off the throttle, wasting gas. I'd think the feedback loop would nip that in the bud a lot quicker.
How about a functional decel valve?
Colin