1.7 with vanagon heads

Post by chachi » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:04 pm

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

satchmo
Old School!

Re: 1.7 with vanagon heads

Post by satchmo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:56 pm

chachi wrote:i don't need to actually do anything about this right now, but what would lead a guy to have an EA case with '79 only 2.0 heads?
I think all the cases for the Type 4, from the 1.7 liter to the 2.0 liter were pretty interchangeable. So it wouldn't be that uncommon to find a case from a 1.7 liter engine with heads from a 1.7, 1.8, or 2.0. There can also be a lot of different combinations with different size cylinders and pistons too. A lot depends on what you find attached to the heads. You can't just put 2.0 heads on an otherwise complete 1.7 as the cylinders and pistons would be the wrong size for the heads, as would the crank, rods, and stroke length.

The '79 only 2.0 heads had something different about the exhaust ports, if I remember correctly. It didn't effect the function of the heads.

I once took apart a 1.7 liter engine/case, with 1.8 liter heads, with 1.7 liter cylinders bored out for 1.8 liter pistons. Now that was a strange combo put together by my local air-cooled VW repair shop and was the main reason I would never recommend them for anything other than sweeping the shop floor.

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:02 am

satchmo wrote: The '79 only 2.0 heads had something different about the exhaust ports, if I remember correctly. It didn't effect the function of the heads.

Tim
The '79 bay as well as the AC vanagons had square port exhaust, so you need different gaskets and heat exchangers.

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:15 am

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:44 am

chachi wrote:yeah, that's how i figured it out, i went and got 021256251A's and found i really needed 029256251's and 2's. when i checked the pictures of the heat exchanger for '79 only i knew i was into something weird.

so, anyway, they just bolt right on? man...learn something new every day. thanks folks.
On the plus side, I've had better luck with square port heads and exhaust leaks, so I've kind of learned to love them.

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:58 am

chachi wrote:yeah, that's how i figured it out, i went and got 021256251A's and found i really needed 029256251's and 2's. when i checked the pictures of the heat exchanger for '79 only i knew i was into something weird.

so, anyway, they just bolt right on? man...learn something new every day. thanks folks.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'they just bolt right on.'

Here is a good website with info on Type 4 engines and all the various variations (http://www.tunacan.net/t4/reference/cylhead.htm)

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius