Metal leve bearings

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Metal leve bearings

Post by jackstar » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:39 pm

I am just getting my cases back from RIMCO after align boring and oil galley plugging. Sad but it had to be done. Crank and thrust are still standard but the case is .020 over. I have in my hands a set of Metal Leve bearings that fit. Before I put them in for good I needed to ask, are these of a quality that will maintain for a non-hot rodding/lugging driver? I dont know enough about bearings to know the difference if they are good/bad/indifferent. If someone has access to better quality bearings in those specs please speak up. Thanks.

Jack

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Metal leve bearings

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:09 am

jackstar wrote:I am just getting my cases back from RIMCO after align boring and oil galley plugging. Sad but it had to be done. Crank and thrust are still standard but the case is .020 over. I have in my hands a set of Metal Leve bearings that fit. Before I put them in for good I needed to ask, are these of a quality that will maintain for a non-hot rodding/lugging driver? I dont know enough about bearings to know the difference if they are good/bad/indifferent. If someone has access to better quality bearings in those specs please speak up. Thanks.

Jack
Metal Leve bearings were decent in their day. You will check and recheck all dimensions. Bolt up the case with the bearings installed, and get the full accurate measurements of each diameter vertical and horizontal. Compare to accurate measurements of crankshaft main bearing journals for your oil clearance.

Any slight irregularities can be dorked with if you are of stout constitution. I have been known to shave the case bearing saddle parting line surfaces with a razor blade to increase crush or even raking the edge of the bearing shells to drop clearance down a smidge, and I will deny it all.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:31 am

Thanks Colin.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:31 pm

I thought Rimco closed!

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:06 am

Colin or anyone else for that matter,

I just got my cases back from RIMCO after being align bored. I have a set of .5mm main bearings with stnd crank and thrust. Is there a difference between "align bored" bearings and .5mm bearings. I know it sounds kinda stupid but I am starting to second guess myself as to the bearings I have. I dont want to find out after I cook my new engine that I used the wrong bearings. Thanks for putting up with my insecurity.

Jack

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:01 am

jackstar wrote:Colin or anyone else for that matter,

I just got my cases back from RIMCO after being align bored. I have a set of .5mm main bearings with stnd crank and thrust. Is there a difference between "align bored" bearings and .5mm bearings. I know it sounds kinda stupid but I am starting to second guess myself as to the bearings I have. I dont want to find out after I cook my new engine that I used the wrong bearings. Thanks for putting up with my insecurity.

Jack
.5mm bearings are the typical .020" oversize case bearings. If the case was align-bored to the American .020" specs, you will have a sloppier fit than you want if the case were bored to the genuine metric oversize.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles