Valve Adjustment Data

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

Valve Adjustment Data

Post by sped372 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:53 am

Recently did the springtime adjustment on the bus. I like to plot the data, it helps to look for trending. Still pretty early going on this engine but so far I feel comfortable with how things seem to be settling in. If I find a valve at 0.007" I've been leaving it instead of tightening it up since things still seem to be moving around a bit. These are the "as found" clearances for the rebuilt longblock from A.C.E. in Salt Lake:

Compare that to my anxiety inducing data from the J.C.S. engine that it replaced:

Looking at those numbers bothers me even now. Man I was getting sick of crawling under there every few hundred miles only to find that the adjustments were off. :pale:

Listen to your engine, it wants to talk to you.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Valve Adjustment Data

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:33 am

sped372 wrote: I like to plot the data, it helps to look for trending.
Very nice. Spread out the data a little and it will be a fascinating read of the aluminum iron magnesium sandwich-that-is-your-engine.
Colin
(I might need a graph plot for the LM-1/CHT/Environmental Variables using eight axes across 3-D :pale: )
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

urtheiz
I'm New!

Post by urtheiz » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:14 pm

interesting!! my present engine is from JCS and i've noticed with milage (1500 miles or so) the valves keep getting tighter. i've retighted the heads twice in the last year & 1/2. but i do have this running on the hot side problem (which is why i'm always checking the valves/timing etc). i got to get around to hooking up this external oil cooler that has a fan i found in a parts box.
wakeup to find out urtheiz of the world

'71 camper-daily ride

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:12 pm

How many (total) miles do you have on it? What's the backstory?
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX