Rebuild #2- Fixing my previous mistakes & Avoid New Ones

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Rebuild #2- Fixing my previous mistakes & Avoid New Ones

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:10 am

Of course I have, want me to post some pics of it?

ok, here it is and what you can see is the metal band (valve seat) sitting behind the valve stem. Engine would turn one way and stop and you could reverse it but always stopping when of course the piston hit the seat.

Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Snap
Getting Hooked!

Post by Snap » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:17 pm

WOW, where should I start? I has been a long and a frustrating Journey with everything that I fixed and redone during this last rebuild.

Here is a updated summary I was going to post back in the beginning of May but never got around to it.....

"The head work I had done was very reasonable, rebuilt with good quality craftsmanship, experienced, and finished in a timely manor. I would defiantly recommend Steve’s Precision Machine to anyone looking to have their heads rebuilt. After getting the heads back I CC’d the combustion chamber. I had the materials and tools to make my own polycarbonate disc and had a 25cc syringe. Only one was chamber was off by 1/2cc.

One item I overlooked last time was installing a head temp gauge & tachometer. I don not want a cluster of gauges, but just a few to indicate what engine is doing. I probably don’t need a tachometer, but I found one a while ago at a swap meet that fits in the spot where the clock should be on a deluxe. One pet-peeve of mine is sloppy wiring. Since I just replaced the engine harness, I wanted to route a few additional wires in the existing loom. With a fish tape and a utility knife, I was able to run the tachometer wire, 14 GA hot wire for the supplemental electric heater, & two leads for the head temp sender. At some other time, I want to run wires for rear speakers and CAT 5 cable for LED indicators that will be installed in the bezel. I was able to make my own bezel with locations for three tri-color LED lights that can be programmed with a PLC. The LED colors will probably correspond with Oil temp & Pressure ranges.

More to come soon...
-Snap

'70 Type II
9 Passenger
1641 DP
Solex- 34 PICT 3

Snap
Getting Hooked!

Post by Snap » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:13 pm

Thanks so much Colin! Your timing and carb adjustment made wonders of difference driving home from the lab. I know you were not completely satisfied but really appreciated all the help and future knowledge for when I readjust when I get some miles on it and loosens up a bit.
-Snap

'70 Type II
9 Passenger
1641 DP
Solex- 34 PICT 3

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:32 am

Snap wrote:Thanks so much Colin! Your timing and carb adjustment made wonders of difference driving home from the lab. I know you were not completely satisfied but really appreciated all the help and future knowledge for when I readjust when I get some miles on it and loosens up a bit.
Aw, just lucky . . . two beers into it.
Colin :drunken:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:50 am

Yeah yeah.
Hey thanks again for the generator! And Hal gave me shocks too. Not electrical though.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Snap
Getting Hooked!

Post by Snap » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:49 am

I have made a few camp trips and it has been running like a champ. I my mpg averaged 18.2 fully loaded with 4 adults and gear to Waldport and 19.4 up to Johnson Ridge Observatory partially loaded (I saw Gypsy heading north on my way home). I still need to move the CHT sender to #3 spark plug hole to see some accurate head temps.

With all the good luck I have had so far on this engine, I did run into a small problem this weekend, and I don't know if it has happened to anyone else or not. Snap died all of a sudden on the side of the road acting like it ran out of fuel. After burning myself on the asphalt and one ruined shirt soaked in gasoline checking for a plugged fuel filter, I discovered the pivot pin on the mechanical fuel pump pushed out the back side. It is a Brosol that is less than one year old. I peened the aluminum housing to keep it from happening again. Will this do the trick or, should I get a new one... again?

Here's a pic with the engine installed
-Snap

'70 Type II
9 Passenger
1641 DP
Solex- 34 PICT 3

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:45 am

I've had it happen to me on my Baja. I've heard it was a common problem and your peening job you did is exactly what they recommend. Glad to hear she is running like a champ. Hopefully I'll be able to say that soon.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:22 pm

My fuel pump did the exact same thing, I put a hose clamp around it to hold the pin in place.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:50 am

Good to hear that it's running so well. sounds like you fixed her up right with your peening job.

Funny that we passed on the road, we went to silver lake for a few days and did the Johnson ridge thing too. Was gonna do a helicopter tour but at 160 plus tax per :cyclopsani: we decided to say "look: that's a helicopter and that's a mountain with half of it'self blown off..." Seemed to do the trick...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Snap
Getting Hooked!

Post by Snap » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:09 am

Gypsie wrote: Funny that we passed on the road, we went to silver lake for a few days and did the Johnson ridge thing too.
I broke down on the way to investigate Silver Lake to see if we could sail the Hobie 16 in the future. The pump came apart about a 1/4 mile west of the boat ramp. Luckily I was out with the extended family, which was back at the Toutle River RV Resort... not my choice. (BTY- Camping between I-5 and a heavily used train track, and paying out the ying-yang for a parking spot, is no way to camp) :shaking:
Gypsie wrote: Was gonna do a helicopter tour but at 160 plus tax per :cyclopsani: we decided to say "look: that's a helicopter and that's a mountain with half of it'self blown off..." Seemed to do the trick...
I have climbed it many times but the first time I have ever seen it from that angle in person. Very impressive. Too bad all the awesome pictures decided to delete themselves off my phone. :cussing:
-Snap

'70 Type II
9 Passenger
1641 DP
Solex- 34 PICT 3