New SVDA or Old DVDA - Stock '74 1800

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

New SVDA or Old DVDA - Stock '74 1800

Post by jimbear » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:58 pm

I am heading back to a stock set-up for my carbs and dizzy for the 1800 in my '74 bus. For the carbs I will be keeping the dual Solex and adding the preheat unit and assorted tubes and bi-metal cutoff valve. For the dizzy Colin recommended ditching the 009 and going with the DVDA. I procured a used DVDA of unknown quality. I am thinking of getting a new SVDA from aircooled.net. So, folks and Colin, should I go with the old DVDA of unknown quality or the new SVDA from aircooled.net? And on that note, if SVDA, points or Petronix? Any input would be welcomed.

Is this the right place for this post?
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: New SVDA or Old DVDA - Stock '74 1800

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:03 pm

jimbear wrote:I am heading back to a stock set-up for my carbs and dizzy for the 1800 in my '74 bus. For the carbs I will be keeping the dual Solex and adding the preheat unit and assorted tubes and bi-metal cutoff valve. For the dizzy Colin recommended ditching the 009 and going with the DVDA. I procured a used DVDA of unknown quality. I am thinking of getting a new SVDA from aircooled.net. So, folks and Colin, should I go with the old DVDA of unknown quality or the new SVDA from aircooled.net? And on that note, if SVDA, points or Petronix? Any input would be welcomed.

Is this the right place for this post?
If both vacuum chambers hold a vacuum, you have a good vacuum unit that will give you both advance and retard. If the upper shaft snaps back after you hold the bottom securely and wind the distributor rotor clockwise, you can be pretty sure that the used distributor is acceptable. A SVDA will not have the vacuum retard which is a necessary feature for a happy central idling circuit on the carbs.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:32 pm

Glenn over on the samba may be able to rebuild the dvda for you.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:20 pm

I don't think Glenn will do that but these guys might....

http://www.philbingroup.com/rebuilt/distributors.htm
79 VW Bus

jimbear
Getting Hooked!

Post by jimbear » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:52 pm

I hit Glenn up some months ago and he does not do these. I just sent an Email to the Philbin Group. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks for the intel. Other than the vac can, what am I looking for on the used distributor I have to indicate functionality?
'74 Hardtop Westy
Pretty much stock engine setup

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:29 pm

jimbear wrote:I just sent an Email to the Philbin Group. I'll keep ya posted.
Mark does great work insanely quickly. Your distributor will spend a lot more time in the back of the UPS trucks than it will at Mark's shop. I HIGHLY recommend him. He's done two distributors for me. They went in looking like... well, very used and they come back looking brand-spanking new. They work even better! Have I gushed enough yet?
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:10 am

jimbear wrote:I hit Glenn up some months ago and he does not do these. I just sent an Email to the Philbin Group. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks for the intel. Other than the vac can, what am I looking for on the used distributor I have to indicate functionality?
I awreddy tole you.

Distributors are totally simple. We can yank that thing apart in 20 minutes, pull the bushings, rotate them in their bores 90* and you are fresh-to-go.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles