Can't get the idle up

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: Can't get the idle up

Post by vwlover77 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:19 pm

Just a note: My engine eventually did lock up due to the bearing issue (20 miles or so after being put back together). After it cooled down, it un-seized and ran several hundred more miles with that bearing wiped out with no apparent issues.

Does your engine spin relatively freely while turning the alternator pulley? Maybe pull the plugs to relieve the compression and make sure.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:37 am

Gypsie wrote:You can bet that putting the drill to the throttle plate was a nerve wracking moment. "No turning back now..."

Started every evening this week. starts good. Cold idle drops down after a minute or so.

Several test drives, including a couple with some severe inclines, are reassuring me every day.
I am re-quoting this post to remind you that you had it running.
The post below it could be a completely different cause. Keep your mind open to all possibilities as you re-troubleshoot.
How many bay bus engine overhauls have had teething problems, then got fixed, then four days later a brake booster line blew off the plenum and killed it dead. A fresh rebuild makes people think the engine must have seized when it could be really simple . . . Take a break, understand that the car wants you to find the issue just as bad as you do.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:22 am

Oh yeah, look how long it took me to get my engine running right. It's always a new set a variables.
It's something simple and stupid. It would not have run right, consistently, otherwise.
This is why I like the simpler mechanicals of the early engines and single carb. Much less to go wrong and troubleshoot. And it's STILL a PITA.
Also remember: you are deep into expert territory. You are in a place that not many armchair mechanics go. Give yourself some credit, and know that this too shall pass.
Rootin' for ya!
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:52 pm

changed the fuel filter, cap rotor.

I still can't seem to adjust the idle without using the spring on the accelerator linkage to hold the throttle plate a bit.

Started, warmed it up. made a few minor adjustments. Back and forth on the street. Cruised it around town, then some back country roads and a little freeway run, about 10 miles worth. I am going to try and drive it in to work tomorrow. That's about 25 freeway miles.

It does good on the road. Gets up to speed and cruises ok.

Idles for S#!+.

Maybe the issue the other morning was a cold engine with some new parameters that hadn't been adjusted for...???

Not entirely relieved.

fingers crossed.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

hambone

Post by hambone » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:18 pm

Good to hear! Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

hambone

Post by hambone » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:15 pm

Gypsie stopped by unannounced. Man that is one smooth running rig. Get the idle straight and I think you're set.

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:18 am

still a bit pensive but it does do well on the road. Stopping and going is still proving to be a bother.

it keeps wanting to die at start from a stop. I do not have any idle adjustment ability accept accelerator linkage.

I have put away the gas can and match book.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Gypsie wrote:still a bit pensive but it does do well on the road. Stopping and going is still proving to be a bother.

it keeps wanting to die at start from a stop. I do not have any idle adjustment ability accept accelerator linkage.

I have put away the gas can and match book.
I shall visit. You have time to drill the throttle plate out one more drill bit size and jack up the idle fuel mixture a tad IF and only IF you do not have new piston rings with less than 1,000 miles on them.
Colin

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Mon May 02, 2011 11:00 am

New piston rings with only 450 miles on them.

Ran great going up camping (near 3000 ft with some 7% grades). Good power, temps good. Not so great near idle. When I arrived it kept dying while I was trying to maneuver into place.

At start up Sunday, after sitting for a day and a half, it started ok but eventually died and took several (dozen) attempts to get it going. After coming into town (about 30 miles mostly downhill) we had lunch and, once again, it kept crapping out when I was starting up and trying to pull out of a diagonal parking space (easing up from the side of the street arc, out into traffic..), but ran great on the way home.

It doesn't like just a little accelorater but wants about 1/4. No idle to speak of.

very little braking power. could be air or a leaky booster. ...

13mpg. (I'm calling it good.)

Regarding a hole.

I am now at 1/8inch on the original hole. I was thinking that If I am to add more air in this way I would start a new hole (say 1/16"). That way If I need to block this hole off again I could use a rivet.

I don't think I am going to try any more holes until I have eliminated the other potentials (such as the brake booster).

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 03, 2011 2:13 pm

Gypsie wrote:
I don't think I am going to try any more holes until I have eliminated the other potentials (such as the brake booster).
I agree. Find your leak. Mixture and air = idle.
Colin