Thermostat assembly

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

THall
Getting Hooked!

Thermostat assembly

Post by THall » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:44 pm

I've discovered the PO removed the entire thermostat assembly from my '78. Anyone know where I can source the flaps and rod assembly? I've been able to locate the actual thermostat (T1 modified), bracket, and cable.

Thanks,

-Tim
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Re: Thermostat assembly

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:32 pm

Did a Samba classified search on "Flaps" in the Late Bay Parts forum, came up with only one ad:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1105920

The searched for "Fan":

Looks like the flaps are still in this one:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=898801

Might see if this guy will sell you what you need:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=895039

Or this guy:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... id=1074932
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:23 am

Try bustedbus.com? They are like an online salvage yard.
They pulled all the flaps and links for my '69 cooling system, in excellent used condition, from their yard, cleaned and painted them, and express shipped them in a box to get them to me while I still had my engine out. The paint was still slightly tacky because they rushed if for me. Very nice.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:04 am

THall wrote:I've discovered the PO removed the entire thermostat assembly from my '78. Anyone know where I can source the flaps and rod assembly? I've been able to locate the actual thermostat (T1 modified), bracket, and cable.

Thanks,

-Tim
Pull the #4 spark plug connector and get a flashlight mirror investigation going on as you sight back towards the fan housing under the tin. If you see oil cooler fins from this vantage point, the left flap is indeed missing. If you only see black with possible stripes in the murky darkness, that would be the left "flap" covering the oil cooler, a good thing.
Colin
(try to find a metal pulley for the cable)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

THall
Getting Hooked!

Post by THall » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:16 am

Amskeptic wrote:
THall wrote:I've discovered the PO removed the entire thermostat assembly from my '78. Anyone know where I can source the flaps and rod assembly? I've been able to locate the actual thermostat (T1 modified), bracket, and cable.

Thanks,

-Tim
Pull the #4 spark plug connector and get a flashlight mirror investigation going on as you sight back towards the fan housing under the tin. If you see oil cooler fins from this vantage point, the left flap is indeed missing. If you only see black with possible stripes in the murky darkness, that would be the left "flap" covering the oil cooler, a good thing.
Colin
Thanks to all for all the ideas and suggestions.
Colin, I will know for certain soon what's all missing as I'm currently taking things apart. I've got all the rear tins, engine seal, cooling fan and belt off currently. What is the recommendation on the alternator at this point. Do I remove that first and then take off the fan housing or should that be removed as a unit.

My plan is to break down as much as I can to:
1. Learn about my engine and how to properly maintain it.
2. Fix things that the PO may have messed up (i.e. thermostat removal).
3. Clean, and find the source of leaks.
4. Have everything shiny and clean and ready for re-installation upon Colin's visit.

-Tim
'78 Westy 2.0 FI

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:26 am

THall wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Thanks,

-Tim
Colin
Thanks to all for all the ideas and suggestions.
Colin, I will know for certain soon what's all missing as I'm currently taking things apart. I've got all the rear tins, engine seal, cooling fan and belt off currently. What is the recommendation on the alternator at this point. Do I remove that first and then take off the fan housing or should that be removed as a unit.

My plan is to break down as much as I can to:
1. Learn about my engine and how to properly maintain it.
2. Fix things that the PO may have messed up (i.e. thermostat removal).
3. Clean, and find the source of leaks.
4. Have everything shiny and clean and ready for re-installation upon Colin's visit.

-Tim
Remove the alternator with the fan housing. Shiny and clean is good.
Colin

z
I'm New!

Post by z » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:21 pm

which engine is this? 1800 cc?

If so, now I know where the flapper box goes.

If I don't have the fan, or any hoses, then which holes should be covered to aid in keeping the engine as cool as possible?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:40 am

z wrote:
which engine is this? 1800 cc?

If so, now I know where the flapper boxes go.

If I don't have the fan, or any hoses, then which holes should be covered to aid in keeping the engine as cool as possible?
Get the fan and the hoses.
Colin
(oh all RIGHT, block the fresh air INLET holes at the exchangers. Do not block the outlet holes ever. Cover any holes in the tins where hoses/pipes are supposed to go through to help keep hot under-engine air from invading the cool-the-engine air in the engine compartment)

z
I'm New!

Post by z » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:23 am

Thanks Colin.

I think I have seen a sketch around that identifies these ports you are mentioning. In fact I saw a small one around here in another thread. Where can I get a large one so I can clearly identify the operation of hot and cool air, as I understand what you are saying, but I am unable to pin point it within the engine compartment.

Again, thanks a great deal.

PS: The more I read, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know anything.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:51 pm

z wrote:Thanks Colin.

I think I have seen a sketch around that identifies these ports you are mentioning. In fact I saw a small one around here in another thread. Where can I get a large one so I can clearly identify the operation of hot and cool air, as I understand what you are saying, but I am unable to pin point it within the engine compartment.

PS: The more I read, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize I don't know anything.
Page from my book that may be finished before the next meteorite/cataclysmic die-off:

Incoming air comes down the hoses from the blower to pipes that enter exchangers themselves. If you can seal off the pipes above the tin "line of demarcation", then just seal them off. If the pipes are missing, then you have to have heat-resistant block offs at the exchangers themselves plus block offs so the tins do not have holes. The fan also pumps air into the exchangers. We want this. VW engineers wanted this. It cools the exhaust pipes, which helps to draw heat from the heads and exhaust valves. That is why the heater valves are designed to dump the air that has passed through the exchangers at all times whether you use it to heat the cabin or not.

I do recommend that your fix the car correctly right off, no screwing around with cobbled nonsense.
Colin

z
I'm New!

Post by z » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Alright brother, I'm getting this...so by exhaust valves, you mean "flapper boxes", correct? If so, then I know what I have to do to ensure the engine compartment is as tight as possible with what I have. Thanks for the guidance and assistance.

PS: Certainly want to encourage you to move forward with your book. Great idea, investment and help for all. Best of luck on this endeavor.

Sinc.
Z

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Book?? Your writing a book?? I've seen some of your drawings. A book from the infamous Colin would be a great help for an idjit like me.
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

z
I'm New!

Post by z » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:41 am

Amskeptic wrote:
z wrote:Thanks Colin.

Page from my book that may be finished before the next meteorite/cataclysmic die-off:

Incoming air comes down the hoses from the blower to pipes that enter exchangers themselves. If you can seal off the pipes above the tin "line of demarcation", then just seal them off. If the pipes are missing, then you have to have heat-resistant block offs at the exchangers themselves plus block offs so the tins do not have holes. The fan also pumps air into the exchangers. We want this. VW engineers wanted this. It cools the exhaust pipes, which helps to draw heat from the heads and exhaust valves. That is why the heater valves are designed to dump the air that has passed through the exchangers at all times whether you use it to heat the cabin or not.

I do recommend that your fix the car correctly right off, no screwing around with cobbled nonsense.
Colin
I found the fan and pipes that goes to the HE:
DSCN0240.JPG
In the meantime, I guess I need to cover the two holes for the pipes in the engine compartment. Any suggestions on what to use? Here is the right one:
DSCN0247.JPG
Also, am I supposed to block the holes where the pipes should go on the HE??? I mean this hole (right HE) as well as on the left side in the meantime??:
DSCN0236.JPG
The Texas VW Classic is approaching in two weeks and would like to drive without heating worries to it. My engine's last compression test done back 18MAR10 was:

#1 - 135
#2 - 125
#3 - 120
#4 - 120

I have only put 244 miles since then. So not that much use.

Any info would be much appreciated, as I really want to head over on the bus, but of course not at her expense.

Thanks,
Z

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:23 pm

z wrote: am I supposed to block the holes where the pipes should go on the HE???

The Texas VW Classic is approaching in two weeks and would like to drive without heating worries to it.
I really want to head over on the bus, but of course not at her expense.
Yes. You will be doing yourself a big favor if you can get the pipes properly installed on the exchangers. They get hot down there, and installed pipes will let you block them off up in the engine compartment where they are much cooler. If you have the fan and pipes and fresh air hoses, it might be just as easy to stick them in. If you have the flaps in the blower, you do not need to electrically wire the blower or anything, just having the pipes, hoses and blower in place will prevent the hot air from escaping into the engine compartment.
To install the pipes in an already dressed engine, you will need to remove the rear tins and loosen the screws holding the rear of the upper cylinder tins to the fan housing. Then you can lift them up a bit to finagle the pipes in place. There is a 10mm bolt that holds the left pipe onto the exchanger eyelet, the right pipe sometimes has a tab held down onto the exchanger with an engine tin screw or a little 10mm bolt.
Colin
Colin

z
I'm New!

Post by z » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:12 pm

Argh, I feel like a total donkey!!!

I have spent pretty much all day reading on The Samba trying to figure out how to plug the holes because I assumed that I could not install the pipes without dropping engine.

Knowledge is all about asking the correct questions!

Here's a link to The Samba with what I did today: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458322

Thank you so much Colin!!! Of course I rather install the pipes and the fan. And yes, the fan does have the flaps, :thumbleft:

My engine is already dressed, so I'll undo the tin in the engine compartment where the pipes goes. I guess this would be the same as the "upper cylinder tins" since I'm not sure which ones are those, it should be location based, correct.

Again, thanks a great deal!

Luis