Auditory Oil Pressure Warning For The Purist

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Auditory Oil Pressure Warning For The Purist

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:36 pm

Like me . . . .

The BobD now has a trick oil pressure warning buzzer that is actually the door buzzer. But Wait! There's more!

Not only does it use factory wiring, but it also only buzzes if there is low oil pressure while running. When you merely turn on the ignition, it remains properly silent. It gives you a self-test buzz each morning when you first fire up the engine and have to fill the galleries.

Remove battery negative:
Your door buzzer has two spades.
Drop the fuse box and you will see the grey and grey/black wire leaving the top surface of the relay panel. Remove the ignition switch plug and stick your jeweler's screwdriver in the plug to release the grey/black wire's spade from the plug. Pull the grey/black wire from the fuse box side, through the ignition switch harness, it'll come through as long as the harness is not squashed. Reach under the dash at the driver's door pillar and catch the wires leading to the door switch. The grey one, you can try to pull directly off the switch. If it does not release immediately, remove the switch from the door pillar and remove the wire from the switch directly. Braid the two wires into an "insta-harness" and bring to the fuel gauge idiot light cluster. Stick the grey black terminal between the alternator wire connector and the bulb holder plastic. It will find a stick spot with a little mucking around. Now stick the grey wire between the oil light spade connector and the black plastic bulb holder.

Only when the engine is running, will the alternator bring 12 volts up to the alternator idiot light and cancels out the ignition switch supplied 12 volts (that is what gave you two nice idiot lights when you first turned on the ignition). Thus idiot light is off. But that same alternator-supplied voltage (that Only When The Engine Is Running voltage) supplies the door buzzer with 12 volts and IF the oil sender grounds due to low oil pressure, bzzzzzzzzzzz, there you go. It's an annoying buzzer too.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:06 am

Interesting. =D>
Mine buzzes when the ignition is turned on, but I don't mind as I know it's working before I crank it.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re:

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Hippie wrote:Interesting. =D>
Mine buzzes when the ignition is turned on, but I don't mind as I know it's working before I crank it.
Oh I get a reliable self-test each morning, Hippie, as the oil pressure comes up, but I also get to go back and futz without a mosquito driving me nuts.

Still working my brain on the diode I am supposed to put in.
Colin

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Re: Auditory Oil Pressure Warning For The Purist

Post by Hippie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:47 pm

Diode? What diode?

So as you crank it, the buzzer is disabled, but when the engine fires up and the alternator comes up to speed, it buzzes briefly until oil pressure follows along?

I need to reread this. Words alone are harder than a schematic for me. Always been visual.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Hippie wrote:Diode? What diode?

So as you crank it, the buzzer is disabled, but when the engine fires up and the alternator comes up to speed, it buzzes briefly until oil pressure follows along?

I need to reread this. Words alone are harder than a schematic for me. Always been visual.
Ayep. I am enjoying this little upgrade.
Colin

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:07 am

What's the diode for?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:45 am

Hippie wrote:What's the diode for?
Well, over on theSamba I saw a wiring diagram that included an ignition sourced electrical supply with two diodes actually, so one energized circuit would not backfeed the other circuit as they had a buzzer for the oil pressure and GEN light. Overthinking on my part?
Colin

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Overthinking on my part?
Colin
No. Probably a good idea.

Manfred
Old School!

Post by Manfred » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:21 am

Genius.
1978 Westy FI
hambone wrote:Some times ya gotta wing it.