trying to decide about new rings/guides on type IV

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chachi
Old School!

trying to decide about new rings/guides on type IV

Post by chachi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:02 pm

well, the $200 wonder bus finally seized, surely due in no small part to a vacuum leak fix without adequate carburetor compensation. so here i sit with a 2.0l to replace the 1.8l but i keep going back and forth about how much i really want to put into this engine.

the 2.0 was, i'm pretty sure, a good runner that came out of a '78 with trans problems. i basically want to just give it to trafton here in portland and get him to slap a centermount progressive on it and get it running, then put it in the bus and drive it till it won't drives no more. however, in my more ambitious days, i took one of the heads off to see if it was any good and to possibly do the rings. now the head site here, and i without my ring tool wonder how realistic would it be for me to remove the other head and do the rings? should i just cut my losses, hand it all to trafton and not worry about the rings?

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:21 pm

Gads where you been?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.