Anybody make thick ones anymore?
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: valve cover gaskets

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:16 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:Anybody make thick ones anymore?
In the engine Forum is a Vendor sticky with:

THE GOOD TYPE 4 VALVE COVER GASKETS

All Foreign Auto Service
4093 Tyler Street
Riverside CA 92503
(909) 689-5840

. . . . but I am sorry to report they went out of business because no one was reading the sticky.

I am also sorry to report that the good thick valve cover gaskets I installed on the BobD in May shrank just like the skinny ones and they caused a vacuum leak on the right and an oil leak on the left.

I have skinny gaskets back on, but I did glue them to the valve covers to see if they will maintain . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:35 pm

the skinny ones are staying in place, just won't sealon the right side. no vacuum leak as I ditched the FI due to vacuum leak issues with the same v/c. breather now hooked to air filter on a hack dual carb, single filter rig made with pvc pipe and fittings, connected to carbs with rubber plumber unions.

Hey colin doing my own ball joints oh joy! Had spare torsion arms. did the press work the other day. can you say explosive separation! Man what a freakin scary thing. had to stand in awkward position to keep my face and junk out of the line of fire. all good now, be swapping the torsion arms later this week.

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:31 am

Felpro from O'Reilly's.

I posted about them earlier, I thought. They are both wider and thicker than the skinny ones from Bus Depot, et al.

L.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:47 am

About ready to start cutting my own...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:25 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:Hey colin doing my own ball joints oh joy! Had spare torsion arms. did the press work the other day. can you say explosive separation! Man what a freakin scary thing.
That is one of the most serious spots on a VW.

that might have got me too . . . just hearing the pow! when the pilot bearing extractor released and threw lumber across the garage was good enough for me.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Highlander

Post by Highlander » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:17 am

Back in the day we used to use 2 valve cover gaskets. At least on Type 1 engines. Compensated for warped valve covers, etc.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:11 am

found some new oem gaskets, wider and thicker. I guess I'll have to use some goop next time. in reading up on it, I find it suggested quite frequently to goop them to the v/c it seems it keeps them from squirming out of position like a toddler just out of the bath tub.

ball joints done. lemforder brand, seem ok. Installed grease fittings, filled them up. steers nice, haven't been in any real wind on the highway yet but feel a big difference anyway. Toughest part was actually the passenger side top shock bolt. frozen in to both the shock and the mount. took almost 5 hours to get it out. new kyb gr2's up front now. putting new general tire grabber at2's out back next week, hankooks completely suck in the snow, especially when they have a couple years on them. plenty of life left in them, about 50% tread left.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:25 pm

vdubyah73 wrote:...hankooks completely suck in the snow...
Yes they do. I put actual snow tires on the back last year and this.