taco plate WTF?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

taco plate WTF?

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:01 pm

this was hiding under the taco place of my 79 bay....
pulling out the screws that held the taco plate in place had little metal shavings on it, and the bowel of the plate was encrusted with sludge...

is this a known or common modification that is made, or some crazy PO idea?

I tried searching around a bit, but you would be shocked to know what happens when you google 'funky taco plate' :pukeleft:

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:03 am

I got the other case down and took a look at the taco plate there... not quite as modified, but you can tell this one was also messed around with a bit:

im just not sure if it's a situation where someone was trying to fix a damaged case, or if this somehow helps with the flow of the oil and is a 'known' modification during a case overhaul.
1979 California Transporter

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:09 am

It's a known mod to help with oil flow. I
think it might be on Ratwell's site somewhere if I remember correctly.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Sluggo
Wishin' I was Fishin'
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Post by Sluggo » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:10 pm

Okay? I'm confused. How exactly does that help with flow? Does it affect pressure?
:vwgauge420:

1977 Bus with Sunroof - "Lucky '77"
2000cc Type IV w/Dual Weber 36s,
Aircooled.net SVDA w/Compufire,
Redline Weber Fuel Pump,
Holley Regulator,
Half Ass Brush & Roller Rustoleum Paint Job,
Incomplete Custom Interior,
Dual Batteries,
Crunched Slider Door.
------------------------------------------------------

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:14 pm

I think that is factory, folks. Look at the millions of machine "ball peen" hits along the radius in the upper photograph. I believe it is there to allow the dipstick/Porsche 914 oil temp sender to get a decent read, and to keep enough circulation to not allow the taco plate to become a sludge repository.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:00 pm

That may be factory cut. I can't remember what mine looked like. I do know I've read of people opening that area further to help the oil flow (I think it was flow. Can't remember for sure). Don't know if it makes much of a difference but that area is right before the pump intake.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:10 pm

Westy78 wrote:That may be factory cut. I can't remember what mine looked like. I do know I've read of people opening that area further to help the oil flow (I think it was flow. Can't remember for sure). Don't know if it makes much of a difference but that area is right before the pump intake.
It is entirely independent of the pressurised oil flow. It is merely sump swamp. People may open them up to get their oil temp senders more informed of the actual oil temperatures circulating nearby.
Next time I clean the inside, I will photograph the BobD's taco plate area.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:13 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Westy78 wrote:That may be factory cut. I can't remember what mine looked like. I do know I've read of people opening that area further to help the oil flow (I think it was flow. Can't remember for sure). Don't know if it makes much of a difference but that area is right before the pump intake.
It is entirely independent of the pressurized ( :flower: ) oil flow. It is merely sump swamp. People may open them up to get their oil temp senders more informed of the actual oil temperatures circulating nearby.
Next time I clean the inside, I will photograph the BobD's taco plate area.
Colin
Maybe that's what I read. All I remember for sure is someone opening that area up for one reason or another. I do remember the "chewed up" look that area on my engine had. Not a smooth machined surface.