Swapping Push Rod Tubes

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Swapping Push Rod Tubes

Post by rmannon » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:09 pm

I have a few leaky push rod tubes that I want to replace in my bus. I bought a set of Scat spring loaded tubes because I really don't want to pull the heads on my 1600. I have one question that I cannot find an answer to. Do I need to drain the oil before I attempt this? I'm really not looking to take an oil bath.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:21 pm

Not 100% sure if the oil level sits above inner openings of the tubes or not but even if it's close and you aren't level...

2.5 quarts of oil isn't all that expensive. I'd drain it.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:36 pm

sped372 wrote:2.5 quarts of oil isn't all that expensive. I'd drain it.
Kinda what I was thinking...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:23 pm

rmannon wrote:
sped372 wrote:2.5 quarts of oil isn't all that expensive. I'd drain it.
Kinda what I was thinking...
No need to drain the oil.
Colin
(but a Type 1 appreciates fresh oil at every opportunity)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:50 pm

I just did the tune up about two weeks ago. I will top it off a bit when it's all done.

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:26 am

Okay after a weekend of oil leaks, I have finally come to a point that I want to take a BFH (Big F$%#ing Hammer) and break something. I put the bus in the garage over night so he would be nice and cool in the morning when I started this project. I pulled the valve covers and the rocker arms with no problems, push rods out. Grabbed the old tubes in the middle with a pair of pliers and crushed them and pulled straight down. They all came out very easy. I was unable to find any directions on how to assemble or install the spring loaded pushrod tubes except for the little note in the bag stating “spring side towards cylinder head”. I figured it couldn’t be too hard. White seal on each end with a spring and washer in the middle. But why do I have eight extra seals? I put him all back together and adjusted the valves. He started right up just like he was supposed to. I let him run for about 15 minutes and then I noticed oil spraying from the left side of the engine then the drips started. Pulled him back into the garage and let him cool down and pulled the tins. Word to the wise: Leave the lower tins off until you are 100 percent certain you don’t have any leaks. I noticed that the tubes were leaking from the middle. Ahh Ha! That’s why they have eight extra seals. Pull everything apart again, pull the tubes and put the extra seals in as well. Put everything back together, adjust the valves again. They had not changed but I just wanted to make sure. Started him back up and let him run for about five minutes and I see one drip on the left side under the head for cylinder three. I get under there with a drop light and I see that the one seal into the head is a bit off. I push and pull on the tube and spring and the seal finally sets correctly. I have had enough for one day. I’m tired and I pack it in for the night. Sunday morning I come out and I have a half dollar size spot of oil under the same tube. #$@^! Okay one more time I pull the valve cover gasket, rocker arm, and the single push rod. I reset the tube and hope for the best. Come out this morning to come to work and the silver dollar spot is back. I don’t have time to check it again….Now the bus awaits my arrival from work to try and figure out why this one tube will not seal. Other than that all the other small drip spots I was seeing have stopped. If I can just get this one last one to seal properly I will be golden. I guess the one bright side is that I have gotten quite quick at adjusting the valves. ;-)

rmannon
Getting Hooked!

Post by rmannon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:09 am

One more day and one more fix. But it looks like things are back to normal. I crawled back under the bus last night with the drop light looking for any signs of leaks. None from the pushrod tubes but I did have a leak from the left valve cover. I pulled the cover and the gasket was squished. I am so glad I keep a bunch of those things around. Tonight I break out the simple green and get to cleaning up the mess in my driveway and underneath the bus. Once he is clean I'll post before and after pics.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:23 pm

Thank for the writeup.
I've been thinking about doing this too, but I should also really pull the engine and replace the main seal behind the flywheel as well. It leaks pretty bad.

Problem is my back has been pretty much on the blink again, and school started so I dont have time anyway.