Hard Starting "Cold"

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Hard Starting "Cold"

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:58 pm

Actually, when it's cold/cool outside, it starts just fine. It's when the ambient temprature is above 75 degrees it's cranky to start. Specifically, it will fire up righ away, but then die in a second or two. I will have to start 4 or 5 times before it stays running. If the engine is warm, it starts fine also..only when the engine is "cold" (sitting for more than an hour or two) and the ambient temp is warm do I have issues.

Any recommendtations as to where I should start to look?
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:27 pm

Tell us about your dwell angle of the points first and then residual fuel pressure in the fuel rail.
79 VW Bus

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:25 pm

Finally found some free time to check (4 funerals and a wedding (mine) kept me kinda busy).

dwell angle is at 48 deg; timing is spot on; all ignition components are new within the last 1500 miles. And yes Randy, new temp sensor II :).

Haven't had a chance to check residual fuel pressure, however she will start right up if it's been sitting a few days. Starts fine if ambient temp is below 70 deg, or if the engine is 'warm' to hot (not sitting longer than an hour.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Hard Starting "Cold"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:24 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:Actually, when it's cold/cool outside, it starts just fine. It's when the ambient temprature is above 75 degrees it's cranky to start. Specifically, it will fire up righ away, but then die in a second or two. I will have to start 4 or 5 times before it stays running. If the engine is warm, it starts fine also..only when the engine is "cold" (sitting for more than an hour or two) and the ambient temp is warm do I have issues.

Any recommendtations as to where I should start to look?
Next time you have to start at 75* or so, go pull the vacuum hose off at the intake plenum, the one that goes to the fuel pressure regulator and decel valve. Then try to start. Better? Worse?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles