Oil galley plug getting ready to blow?????

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

Oil galley plug getting ready to blow?????

Post by reluctantartist » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:09 pm

Ok while working on my engine fixing an oil leak from the oil pressure adapter that cracked and a hardened distributor drive shaft seal, I noticed the oil galley plug in this picture. I really have not looked at them before so I can't say if it has always been like this, but I thought the plugs should be even or recessed in the block This one is not leaking (verified with engine running) but it is protruding from the case by maybe a 1/16 or maybe less. Is that ok or is this a situation where the plug is starting to work its way out?

Thanks.
82 Westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Oil galley plug getting ready to blow?????

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:42 pm

reluctantartist wrote: This one is not leaking (verified with engine running) but it is protruding from the case by maybe a 1/16 or maybe less.
I think that is normal. Anyone have a case to look at to verify?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:34 am

The case half on my stand shows that plug recessed about the same amount that yours is protuding out. FWIW.
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

Post by reluctantartist » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:59 am

Should I give it a tap and put JB weld on it ...to be safe...or leave it alone???

Thanks
82 Westy

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

Post by reluctantartist » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:39 pm

I took a closer look at it when I removed the oil filter and saw that the engine paint was all intact so it must have been protruding when it was painted so I decided it was best to leave it alone and just keep an eye on it.
82 Westy