Things to look over if possible overheat incident

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

Things to look over if possible overheat incident

Post by reluctantartist » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:03 am

When we went up to Chicago over the 4th, on the way back my wife was getting impatient and was driving 70-75 mph in a 25-30 mph head wind. That is until she had to stop and the oil light flickered. The oil temps had climbed to 235-240 and the cht was around 375. I made her stop so I could check the engine and found the an oil leak on the oil pressure sender and the oil level had dropped to just above the fill line. I topped the oil level off and she slowed down after that and the oil light did not come on again. I have not gotten the engine this hot before so am a little worried some damage occurred (there was a heat tab on the engine and it had partially melted). I have an 82 aircooled vanagon and was using mobile 1 15w50 full synthetic with STP 4 cylinder engine treatment (I am changing the oil to Brad Penn 20 w 50).

Besides getting the oil leak fixed and is there anything I need to check or tighten?

Thanks.
82 Westy

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:09 am

Does it seem to be running OK?
79 VW Bus

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:25 am

That doesn't sound all that hot to me - at least for running 75mph into a strong headwind...

Mine oil temp was regularly getting up to 260 on long grades. Of course that is one of the things that indicated I was due for a rebuild... Anyways, 235-240 in that situation does not seem too hot. Especially if the oil light only flickered at a stop. That is normal according to the owner's manual.
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:23 am

those heat tabs are BULLSHIT. is this an AVP rebuild by chance?

those tabs just melt when it gets normal-hot, so they can say you voided your warranty and abused your engine.

375 isn't high for CHT if that is an accurate number, but more importantly is how that compares to what you usually see for those numbers and how much higher that 375 was from those readings?
are you running the VDO CHT, or the Dakota Digital one, is it under the #3 plug, all of that stuff will factor in to weather or not your 375 is to be concerned about.

I don't think there is a way to undo the damage if there was any, just keep it tuned right and be nice next time there is a crazy headwind so it'll last as long as possible.
1979 California Transporter

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:32 am

Sounds like just another day in the life of a VW Bus! Just drive it!!!
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:33 am

The fact you were able to achieve 70-75 mph while enduring a 25-30 mph headwind is impressive. I was only able to achieve 50 mph in similar conditions with my three-legged dog. Like has been mentioned, what's done is done. Keep it clean, full of oil, well tuned and keep on keepin' on.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

Post by reluctantartist » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:48 am

It is running ok and nothing seems to be amiss. I am changing the oil to be on the safe side. I just don't want to have an issue later that could have been avoided now (like re-torquing the heads) and the heat tab has me concerned (it is not under warranty, but I thought if that was effected I must have done major damage)
82 Westy

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:11 am

If you are nervous, retorque the lower head bolts. If they are way off, then you need to do the uppers as well.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

Post by reluctantartist » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:11 pm

This is the first time I let it get driven that hard and have never had the oil light flicker. It was in the mid 90's and given the head wind and from what I know now it isn't unusual behavior. Still doesn't make me comfortable about it.
82 Westy

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:29 am

airkooledchris wrote:those tabs just melt when it gets normal-hot, so they can say you voided your warranty and abused your engine.
+1
vwlover77 wrote:Sounds like just another day in the life of a VW Bus! Just drive it!!!
+1

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:43 am

reluctantartist wrote:This is the first time I let it get driven that hard and have never had the oil light flicker. It was in the mid 90's and given the head wind and from what I know now it isn't unusual behavior. Still doesn't make me comfortable about it.
20-50wt oil?

Read your owner's manual. "Occasionally, the oil light may flicker at idle after a hot freeway run. As long as the light goes right out when you rev that sucker, chump, yer good." It's right there.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:21 pm

IHMO keep running the synthetic oil. No other engine I own runs oil temps like my VW's and they all regularly run over the point where regular oil starts to break down from the heat. Synthetic oil is much more happy running in these elevated temps and doesn't break down. That's why it was invented, for jet engines.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

reluctantartist
Getting Hooked!

Post by reluctantartist » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:16 pm

Well these responses make me feel a lot better. Since I am hauling two 10 month olds I am going to always be be trying to err on the side of caution to avoid that break down I seem to always read about on these forums.
82 Westy

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:59 am

The "breakdown" will eventually come. Your skillset and knowledge will decide whether it's a major inconvenience or just a minor delay. Keep on being cautious and it will go a long way.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:47 am

All cars will eventually break down. It is not a VW thing. Granted the age doesn't help, but things break and wear out. Toasters, rollerskates, all have their operating lifespan.
Do the best ya can, and don't sweat it.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat