Type IV bottom end knocking

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:54 am

chitwnvw wrote:Save your cam gear!!!
Right. And send it to me if its a +3 or so mesh. :bounce:

Herc, you're getting great advice here. My advice is to do all the assembly yourself. Because youcan, and will feel better about doing it yourself.

FYI - Raby's Camper Special kit is a solid lifter only setup.

Good luck!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:32 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Do not make business decisions on what you want/don't want to do with this rebuild, based on sounds that you once-upon-a-time heard when it was running.
hercdriver wrote:I'm not sure I understand this statement. Like it or not, I don't have an unlimited budget to do this to the highest standard. My assumption about once-upon-a-time was that there was a problem to track down and that noise was a clue to the source of that problem.
You make all decisions based on what is in front of you,
The noise was only a clue when you could hear the noise. Let's say you have a part in front of you and you decide to replace it because you attributed the prior noise to the part. I am saying don't! I am saying, save your money. Just measure the part and inspect it. Make only decisions based on what is actually in front of you. That will save money and resources. You may very well find the actual explanation for the noise in your measurements.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hercdriver
Getting Hooked!

Post by hercdriver » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Colin,

Thank you for the reply. I'd also like to apologize for my last post. It was a little harsher than I would have liked. It's due in part to the fact that I feel like I've been thrust into this. I'm also frustrated with differing opinions on how to do this rebuild. What on the surface would seem like a straight forward procedure, I keep running into conflicting opinions on what is fact and what is not. For instance, the cam shaft is the latest example. Two sources are saying to always change it and yourself and another are saying to measure it and keep it if it's in tolerance. Which leads to the other source of angst that I'm having right now and that is that I'm relying on a local shop to measure the parts that I have. Since I am not a machinist myself I'll have to defer judgement to the local shop and the Wilson book.

Dave
66 Beetle
75 Westy

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates