Head leaking oil?

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Head leaking oil?

Post by Mulcheese » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:06 am

I was just about to start a push-rod-tube seal replacement when I realized that it is not those seals that are leaking. Upon further inspection it appears that the heads and maybe even the cylinders are the suspected leakers. After refering to the Bentley I can not determine if there is a gasket, dont know why there wouldnt be, between these.

What to do??????
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:35 pm

There is no gasket between the heads and cylinders, unless it is the shim seal that was used on the earlier Type 4 bus engines.

In any case, there is no oil being sealed in at the head to cylinder mating surface.

It could be that the head bolts are leaking oil (the ones you can see under the valve covers).

Leakage from the cylinder/ block mating surface is a definite possibility. The only way to fix that is to remove the heads and cylinders to seal the surface. There may be a shim there, but sealant is usually requied to keep it from leaking.

Where exactly is your oil dripping? Out at the heads or from the block, or both? Can you post any photos?
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:31 am

Mine was leaking (type1) after a new build. After a head retorque the leak stopped. Check your head torque.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Mulcheese
Getting Hooked!

Post by Mulcheese » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:48 am

hambone wrote:Mine was leaking (type1) after a new build. After a head retorque the leak stopped. Check your head torque.
I was thinking that this might be an issue. I will need to remove upper tin to get at some, and remove rocker for others. Is this correct?
"attending to things in the moment with curiosity and acceptance."