Exhaust Leaks

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

sped372
IAC Addict!

Exhaust Leaks

Post by sped372 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:08 am

What's the best way to determine the source? I've got a snick, snick under load and a light pip, pop when the throttle is closed down a long incline. I can't seem to find it at idle, though.

Should I try a section of hose like a stethoscope or are there any other tricks? I'm suspicious of the steel-wool doughnut on the tailpipe extension as I reused this one on my latest muffler reinstall... forgot that the regular exhaust kit didn't include one for that spot.

This is on the bus if it wasn't clear.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:16 am

I've found on Type 1's it's pretty easy to find. Just feel. Obviously don't put your hand directly on anything, but cup your hand around all flanges/joints and feel for air puffing. On my wife's bus, the header flange has rusted out where it attaches to the driver side heater box. The sound got me close, but feeling for it revealed the exact location.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:19 am

look for black soot stains at joints. Have someone hold a balled up wet rag over the tail pipe while you look and listen for the leak. at idle it may only be a slight hiss.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:45 am

You sure it's not the carb mixture? Could be too lean if you don't have any exhaust leaks.
Also check the front exhaust ports off the heads, they are kinda hidden up there...yeah soot stains will tell you.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:41 am

Just did an oil change and valve adjustment... noticed black soot at the tailpipe extension junction. Thanks for the input, guys. I'll be adding a new clamp kit thingy to my order list.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX