and that's where the pricey kits come into play

thanks, that's kinda what I figured.
1979 California Transporter

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:43 pm

airkooledchris wrote:and that's where the pricey kits come into play

thanks, that's kinda what I figured.
You don't have to go for the kits, there are folks that have been successfully running built up type4's that are home brewed. Ryno is talking with one of the best, more then one way to fry the egg but the "egg" does cost $$$$$$ either way.

You might as well PLAN on spending $6k if you want to go for a nice street friendly performance engine. Beyond that massage a few parts here and there to help yer stock engine out....like port work.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:24 am

Started the cleanup process this morning. I cleaned up the carbon on the pistons and cylinders, got them looking good. Heads are going out to Cali on Monday.

I measured deck height today as well, here are the figures:

1---.061
2---.061
3---.049
4---.051

My camera decided to crap out this morning, so I've got that going for me which is nice.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:09 am

Heads are on their way to Headflow Masters. I continued with the cleaning process and I'm down to the shortblock now.

I am going to write up my parts list tonight. Also going to see about getting 1 and 2 dialed in little better on the deck height.

I guess I'm gonna hafta buy a new camera too. :salute:
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:22 am

have you determined why the heights are different? Manufacturing slop?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:35 am

spiffy wrote:have you determined why the heights are different? Manufacturing slop?
Hey Spiffy!

There are shims under each cylinder. I did not bring my mic from work home this weekend, to check their thickness, I will be doing that this week. ACR has told me that alot of type IV's will shake out that way because of the alignment of the crankshaft. From what I can gather, budget rebuilders are shooting for somewhere between .040-.080. So, I am going to do what I can to get them closer but I'm not gonna get crazy with it.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Yeah, would be nice to get them dialed in. We are going with a .050 deck on my new reactor and aboot 8.25:1 CR. Doing these measurements have my favorite part of the build, even though at one point I got all confused but Jim helped me get back on track :cheers:
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:42 pm

I love shutting my garage door, turning on some honky tonk, opening a tasty homebrew and getting all geeky with my measuring devices.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:38 pm

Any news? When you get the heads could post a pic of the ports? I wanna see what Adrian does to them.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:47 pm

it's strange, I SWORE there were a whole slew of followup posts to this thread a few days back, and when I was done writing my reply, all of them were gone, and what you see above was all that was left.

not sure if it was a server error or if the poster removed them for other reasons, or im crazy? - but thats what I remember.
1979 California Transporter

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:50 am

Spiffy: I will post some pics when I get the heads back. I chose not to have Adrian port and polish because they quoted me $495 to do so. I've got a friend who's into performance type one's, and he's got all the stuff to port and polish, so he's gonna teach me how to do that.

Other than that, I'm just waiting for the temperature to get to where I can paint some tin and what not.

Also waiting for parts to arrive from CB and a couple other outfits.

Chris: I guess things got a little too non-technical in this thread for Colin so he split the topic over to the type-2 forum.
viewtopic.php?t=6107
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:45 am

Picked the heads up this morning from the post office. I'm satisfied with the job headflow masters did. I still have some cleaning and painting to do before I start putting the engine back together. Here's some pics for now:

Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:29 am

What kind of valves do they use?
Is that grease or crud around the valve spring retainer?
Are the heads clean, or do you see evidence of machining detrius?
(get a clean white paper towel and wipe the insides of the ports, does the paper towel pick up grey?)
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:44 am

I'm not sure on the brand of valves, but I will find that out.

It's grease and a little crud. I figure a good washing of gumout before I install them will clean 'em up nicely.

They're pretty clean to other stuff I've had machined in the past. They obviously washed them before and after.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:08 pm

humma humma humma.......SCHWING!!!

Looking nice.

Did they give you the measurement on the step? Be interesting to see what your deck and volume numbers end up at. I had to switch heads completely (doubt you will have to, just providing ambient commentary) mid stream because a "reputable" "the guy to go to" didn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground. This builder would not give me any more head CC's and advised me to just "throw the deck out to around .120 or so and you will be fine" :cyclopsani: Yah....Um.....NO!!!!!

If Jim is providing tech advice you will be golden.

On another note I think the port work is really worth it, if you are still into it and are interested I can give you what I am seeing right now and you can go from there.....it basically goes something like this..."it won't hurt a damn thing".
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"