Camshaft Question

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jrbo
I'm New!

Camshaft Question

Post by jrbo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:31 pm

Just stopped by the machine shop today and my crank/new bearings/rods and new bearings/will be done on wednesday.The camshaft looked ok to him. There were some small pits on one of the lobes?My question is I'm going to use new lifters SO can I use my old camshaft?OR should I get a reground camshaft??The new cams are just to expensive for my beer budget..The pits on the old camshaft really dont look that bad.Need advice from the experts.....THANKS...jrbo
Restoring 1974 VW Bus to it past Glory.8 pages
http://jrbo.tripod.com/Vnubus/index.alb ... vnubus?i=0

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:39 am

The thing to remember about cams is that they are surface hardened. Once wear gets started, it accelerates rapidly. Pits are the first sign that this hardened surface is wearing.

If the pitting is not very deep, it can be reground. Otherwise, replace it, especially if you plan to run this engine for any appreciable length of time. If the cam goes bad, you're looking at another complete tear-down...
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

jrbo
I'm New!

Post by jrbo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:13 pm

Thanks for the info bretski, Sometimes being cheep/tight is not always the best way to go.Do you think I can get by with a reground cam or should I buy new.?? The bus is not going to have alot of heavy or long distant driving,mainly around town and short trips....AGAIN, thanks for your help...jrbo

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:43 pm

Got a picture you can post that shows the pitting?

I'm sure you know the saying that says there's never time/money to do it right the first time, but there always is the second time... :compress:

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

jrbo
I'm New!

Post by jrbo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:04 pm

bretski wrote:Got a picture you can post that shows the pitting?

I'm sure you know the saying that says there's never time/money to do it right the first time, but there always is the second time... :compress:
I dont have a way to post up a pic...right now..And your right fix it right the first time..is always the best policy... If it would have been on any other persons bus besides mine I would not even tried to save on old parts... Guess I just answered my own question... =D> =D> jrbo

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:19 pm

Dude, keep the same cam gear, but pony up for a new cam. Although, if a decent shop will regrind it, to spec, then that is acceptable. A new cam is $100 bucks. I actually went with a webcam after I bought this cam:

http://cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=69

But if you send me $50 buck plus postage(pm me), I'll sell it to you.

Whatever, don't cheap out. Your cam is showing signs of wear, it'll bite you in the rear down the road.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:47 pm

chitwnvw wrote:Whatever, don't cheap out. Your cam is showing signs of wear, it'll bite you in the rear down the road.
I am not exactly being helpful here, but I have re-installed mildly pitted oem camshafts if they pass the thumbnail test on the intake lobes. Tiny little pits that aren't concentrated at the exact tip of the lobes are not necessarily wear indications, but the lumpy lobe pattern on the intakes is a dead giveaway. If you maintain a good clean crankcase with timely oil changes, you'd be surprised at how long a stock camshaft can last. If you already have an aftermarket camshaft (bolt-on gear instead of a riveted genuine VW camshaft gear), then I am much more inclined to agree with the above recommendations of chitwnvw et al. As for lifters, I will use new lifters with an old camshaft IF there are no fingernail-catching edges along the (Type 4 specific) intake lobe tips, the lobes all spec out as to lift, and it only shows smooth wear on the lifters you took out. I got rid of my second original VW camshaft with 200,000 miles on it at 419,000 miles and am sorry I chickened out because that was when I got the clattery gear from BD.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jrbo
I'm New!

Post by jrbo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:24 pm

Thanks everyone for your info...Its going to be a new cam.I just ordered one from cb performance.Sorry,Chitwnvw I didnt see your 50.00 dollor offer.(very Fair Price)I really think the pits would have been ok like Colin said.Last nite I had nitemares about splitting that damm case again.Right there I said no more...new cam here I come.....jrbo...

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:14 pm

Good luck with your build! :)

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
chitwnvw wrote:Whatever, don't cheap out. Your cam is showing signs of wear, it'll bite you in the rear down the road.
I am not exactly being helpful here, but I have re-installed mildly pitted oem camshafts if they pass the thumbnail test on the intake lobes. Tiny little pits that aren't concentrated at the exact tip of the lobes are not necessarily wear indications, but the lumpy lobe pattern on the intakes is a dead giveaway. If you maintain a good clean crankcase with timely oil changes, you'd be surprised at how long a stock camshaft can last. If you already have an aftermarket camshaft (bolt-on gear instead of a riveted genuine VW camshaft gear), then I am much more inclined to agree with the above recommendations of chitwnvw et al. As for lifters, I will use new lifters with an old camshaft IF there are no fingernail-catching edges along the (Type 4 specific) intake lobe tips, the lobes all spec out as to lift, and it only shows smooth wear on the lifters you took out. I got rid of my second original VW camshaft with 200,000 miles on it at 419,000 miles and am sorry I chickened out because that was when I got the clattery gear from BD.
Colin
I'm taking failure of the thumbnail test to mean a thumbnail dragged along the tip of the lobe has one or more places where it catches. And I'm taking failure of the thumbnail test to mean the camshaft must be replaced. True? I have a camshaft here which fails the thumbnail test on both intake lobetips, with readily visible pitting.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:58 am

whc03grady wrote: I'm taking failure of the thumbnail test to mean a thumbnail dragged along the tip of the lobe has one or more places where it catches. And I'm taking failure of the thumbnail test to mean the camshaft must be replaced.
You will be replacing your camshaft :cyclopsani: . . . and lifters.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles