Pertronix Owners Please Read

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:09 am

Regis,

Did this new SVDA happen to come from a vendor whose website ends in .net ? Inquiring minds want to know...
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

regis101
Getting Hooked!

Post by regis101 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:48 pm

It really doesn't matter where the unit came from. The vendors are all selling from the same batch. I'd suspect leftovers from Mexico, Brazil and wherever else. Praised as the 034. Inside it had 009 cast into the housing. Dunno what that means if anything other than parts is parts. Single vacuum pod.

I had them all. From Boneyard to FLAPS to Mallory to vendor(s) to self rebuilds. Wish I had half the money back. My best piece is a NOS OE unit. The godz were with me on this find.

And in my quest for the answer(s) it was good to read that crank end play can be a factor in light scatter. I'm good there. It was recently checked during a clutch R&R.

Next time. I'll just use the FLAPS. At least you can check it for slop before you buy and back away from the sale if you don't like it. Hate losing money with shipping both ways plus restocking fees plus having the vendor telling me that I'm the stoooopid one.

Sorry to all of you about my rant. Just voicing my opinion.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:06 pm

Sluggo wrote:.... it's the same exact numbers on the same exact cylinders. Makes me think something else is wrong that didn't change with the breakerless ignition.

Was using a cheap harbor freight light that only worked if you whacked it against your knee first. I was convinced it was giving false readings so I dropped $100 on an Actron Advance Timing Light that was on sale. Same exact readings.

Check it out when you're here on Wednesday.
what ended up being your cause?

I rechecked all of mine and oddly enough my #3 was retarded a bit from the rest, like someone mentioned being normal for older VW's, but not this era. plus, im running points. dwell is dead on at 47
1979 California Transporter

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:11 am

Research your distributor part # You may have a distributor from a type 1 that needed the #3 retard in there. The dissy in my type 1 dune buggy engine pops right into my type IV bus engine. # 1 isn't in the same spot but it works just fine.
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Dizzy bush replacement

Post by grandfatherjim » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:29 am

regis101 wrote:
I had them all. From Boneyard to FLAPS to Mallory to vendor(s) to self rebuilds. Wish I had half the money back. My best piece is a NOS OE unit. The godz were with me on this find.
Self rebuild eh? .... can we rebush our dizzys ourselves? or will the bushes always need to be reamed (i.e. by someone else with appropriate reamer)?

Jim

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:28 pm

Oh boy! Not only do I run a Pertronix now, I have a brand new one in a box, and I bought it last year! I dig it man!
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Dizzy bush replacement

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:22 pm

grandfatherjim wrote:
regis101 wrote:
Self rebuild eh? .... can we rebush our dizzys ourselves? or will the bushes always need to be reamed (i.e. by someone else with appropriate reamer)?

Jim
I rebuilt my own distributor. I rotated the bushings 90*, new wear surfaces in thrust direction. Half a million flawless miles on that distributor.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

grandfatherjim
Addicted!

Re: Dizzy bush replacement

Post by grandfatherjim » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:29 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
grandfatherjim wrote:
regis101 wrote:

Jim
I rebuilt my own distributor. I rotated the bushings 90*, new wear surfaces in thrust direction. Half a million flawless miles on that distributor.
Colin
Ahhhhh.....I seeeee, yes. OK, I will use this approach. Haven't begun digging into this distributor; is there anything tricky about getting the bushings out? I should probably look around on the web. (I've rebuilt distributors before and understand them but the ones I've done have all had bearings.)
Jim